DM-Tourian (Metroid Tribute) [For Monster Mash]

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
BrianTheCorrupt
Killer in Training

Just wanted to throw it out there that I'm working on a map that I hope Mashers will enjoy (if accepted). I decided I wanted to add to the community with a map, as I love playing on MMs2.
Seeing the Metroid monsters on MMs2 and no Metroid themed map kind of made me interested in making one. As the subject title points out, it'll be based on Metroid's Tourian Region, specifically the final room where the boss Mother Brain would reside.

Progress as of this Post:
  • I've gotten the main room built at a primitive level. A central platform is currently holding the only Weapon Locker so far (prone to change), and the ammo pickups for the ammo for the weapons in the WL are placed in a nearby ceiling-jutting hollowed column (also prone to change)
  • Spawn points are located in a small side-room at one end of the map, possibly a safe zone with a Static Mesh holding a volume for 100 HP regeneration/sec (overpowered, but prone to change). The Door leading out to the main room is a hollow translucent SM, a Limiter Volume is in place to prevent players' weapon fire and Translocator discs from passing through (I wanted to be somewhat authentic with the doors of Metroid, but not exactly, it'll allow players to pass through, but not their weapon projectiles), as well as Monster Projected attacks.
  • Have a hazardous Water Volume acting as the hazardous element of the map causing 20 HP damage/sec (40 HP Damage on initial submersion from my testing thus far). It'll be based off the Metroid: Zero Mission detail, which will mean everything below the walkways will be the hazardous volume.
Things to do:
  • Add Health/Shield/Adrenaline Pickups to the map.
  • Add a Super Weapon (1 or 2 max, up for debate). It is a large map, so a Redeemer will not kill everything in the room if used (If Enhanced Redeemer is allowed to be added, I'll be sure to place it where it won't be stalked to prevent constant spamming on the account of it's massive blast radius and major damage potential). The Ion Painter works on the map, but it is up for debate for placement.
  • Only have a single texture for the map's walls, ceilings, and floors at the moment, but I plan on adding variety to give a little bit of atmosphere to the map.
  • Secret spots, if any for the map for Generic or Advanced Health/Shield/Adrenaline pickups (this is up for debate as I may opt against it since it might be way too easy to camp the whole map [Personally, I don't like Idle Leeches, this is my reason for being against it. I'm okay with players needing to AFK for a minute to do something and be back ASAP, but I have a problem with those who join and don't play all map]).
  • Maybe add Moving objects, but I've yet to figure how to make them.
  • Path-nodes (I suppose it's for the Monster movements) and Flying Path-nodes (Again, I suppose it's for Flying Monsters) and Jump-pads so players can reach some of the higher ground on the map.
  • Add static Meshes to, again, add to the atmosphere of the map.
  • Music to listen to, and if I knew how, possibly have shifting music tracks throughout the match. (I've been listening to Wail's Nexuiz pack, and some of the tracks seem to fit the map for me [Personally, I'd want a track from one of the Metroid Game's music from Tourian and have the final wave having the Boss Music from Super Metroid play during it]).
I would post some screenshots for the map as I make progress, but I haven't used the image-posting feature yet (And I've yet to figure it out).

I also will need to learn how to put everything into a file and upload it incase someone want's to test it and for final release. I'm open to collaboration on making the map, as I consider myself minimally skilled with the editor and could have the help of an expert on building the map. The map, as is, in Alpha and hope to make it to Beta when it gets to a point I desire for the map to be.
[offtopic]I know some of the maps have credits for those who made/worked on them, if collaboration is used, I'll need help placing Credits for those who helped building this map, whether placed in-map as a single texture placement somewhere, or as a prompt in the text system.[/offtopic]

I hope this piques the interest of everyone, as it may motivate me to work on this map with more frequency.
If anyone has questions for me, I'll try to answer them through this thread unless desired in a PM.
My Classes In MMs2:

BrianTheCorrupt - M/MM: Lv 638
BrianTheEnraged - AM: Lv 708
BrianTheGunzerkr - WM: Lv 318

My Map Projects (All on hold):
DM-Tourian
DM-DarkAgonWastes
DM-CargoTrain
tasty
Camper

Let me have a look. I did build some map in the past on unreal engine. Though rusty. I could have a run through.
[font=fantasy]A true weapons master.[/font]
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

I'll help you out in any way that I can. If you have specific questions feel free to ask here. I check every day usually, although I have more time during the weekends.

You might want to check out some music from OCRemix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 6ngIL-6vno

http://ocremix.org/album/9106/super-met ... variations

If you use music from there I can convert it and put it up on my website, then we can put a trigger somewhere in your map encouraging people to download the soundtrack (unfortunately UT2004 doesn't have a good system for allowing people to download music files).
BrianTheCorrupt
Killer in Training

Did a little more work on the map since my earlier post.
  • Added a Bunker at the opposing end from spawn room. Bunker has 2 windows facing towards center of map with a retextured Static Mesh, modified to not interfere with firing out into the map.
  • Added a Double Damage pickup.
I'd like to post some screenshots as I progress, but I don't know how. I could use some help with this matter.
My Classes In MMs2:

DM-Tourian
DM-DarkAgonWastes
DM-CargoTrain
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Brian, there are a few ways to take a screenshot.

The easiest way is when you are playtesting your map, hit F10 (I think) to take a screenshot.
The alternative to that is hit Tilde (~) and type into the game console "shot". This will take a screenshot.

Both of these methods place a screenshot into your UT2004/ScreenShots/ directory.

If you want to take a screenshot of the editor itself I recommend using PrintScreen and then open up Windows Paint / Gimp / Photoshop and pasting it into there. Then save it as a jpg and host it somewhere, and paste the link into the forums.
BrianTheCorrupt
Killer in Training

Wail, the problem isn't that I don't know how to take screenshots, it's uploading them to here. I've never uploaded anything to the net, nor do I know how. I have some in my Folder, it's just how to upload and host them is what I'm not understanding.

On to the topic of the Music for the map, I've checked out some of the OC Remix stuff that you recommended and listened to them on Youtube. With the Trigger System for the map, is it possible to add Multiple Buttons or a Random Trigger at the beginning of the match on the map that would trigger a specific playlist that'll progress through certain waves?

Example:
[tabs][tabs: Playlist 1] Song 1a -> Song 2a -> Song 3a[tabs: Playlist 2] Song 1b -> Song 2b -> Song 3b[tabs: Playlist 3] Song 1c -> Song 2c -> Song 3c[/tabs]

If Multiple Playlists are possible for the map, it'd be great to have variety for the map, as I wouldn't want people to get bored quickly with the same Song Progression throughout the match.

[offtopic]I've been listening to a great compilation of Metroid Music on Youtube not from OC Remix, but by Shinesparkers.net, they're great too, 2 albums have been made by various artists (Including some from OC Remix: Harmony Of A Hunter ; Harmony Of A Hunter - 101% Run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M86Zi8sa ... D248CE7357
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqeyMKQj ... i-umQnk2Qw[/offtopic]

I'll continue to listen to some of the Metroid Music and I'll post a selection of Songs that I would like for the map. If multiple playlists are possible, I'll come up with some and place them in tabs for the order for them to play through.

I appreciate the help, it'll be great for the map to have some unique music (that, and to have a wider selection to listen to outside the map). I'll continue building the map and get some more screenshots in preparation of posting them.
My Classes In MMs2:

DM-Tourian
DM-DarkAgonWastes
DM-CargoTrain
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Ok. I personally have my own web hosting (web hosting and a domain costs like $10 a month or so) that I use for images. Most people probably use a website like imgur.

http://imgur.com/

Look for where it says "Upload Images"
Select "From Computer"
It'll bring up a dialog box, navigate to your screenshots.
They'll upload to imgur.
Post the links here.

Having multiple different sequences or randomized sequences of music is definitely possible. You can do this through a scripted trigger. I'll try to post an example for you later tonight. My warning would be: Don't expect tons of people to be eager to download tons of songs for a single map. It's a little overkill to expect to put 9 songs in for your one map.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Brian, here is a simple ScriptedTrigger that will randomly select (50/50 chance) between two songs. Then it waits 300 seconds (presumably enough time for the songs to play once), and jumps to the next song (in this case, it loops back to the same song again, but it doesn't have to).

Code: Select all

Begin Map
Begin Actor Class=ScriptedTrigger Name=ScriptedTrigger0
    Begin Object Class=Action_WAITFOREVENT Name=Action_WAITFOREVENT0
        ExternalEvent="Wave1Begin"
    End Object
    Actions(0)=Action_WAITFOREVENT'myLevel.Action_WAITFOREVENT0'

Begin Object Class=Action_IFRANDOMPCT Name=Action_IFRANDOMPCT0
        Probability=0.500000
    End Object
    Actions(1)=Action_IFRANDOMPCT'myLevel.Action_IFRANDOMPCT0'

Begin Object Class=Action_PLAYMUSIC Name=Action_PLAYMUSIC0
        Song="Song1"
    End Object
    Actions(2)=Action_PLAYMUSIC'myLevel.Action_PLAYMUSIC0'

Begin Object Class=Action_WAITFORTIMER Name=Action_WAITFORTIMER0
        PauseTime=300.000000
    End Object
    Actions(3)=Action_WAITFORTIMER'myLevel.Action_WAITFORTIMER0'

Begin Object Class=Action_GOTOACTION Name=Action_GOTOACTION0
        ActionNumber=2
    End Object
    Actions(4)=Action_GOTOACTION'myLevel.Action_GOTOACTION0'

Begin Object Class=Action_ENDSECTION Name=Action_ENDSECTION0
    End Object
    Actions(5)=Action_ENDSECTION'myLevel.Action_ENDSECTION0'

Begin Object Class=Action_PLAYMUSIC Name=Action_PLAYMUSIC1
    End Object
    Actions(6)=Action_PLAYMUSIC'myLevel.Action_PLAYMUSIC1'

Begin Object Class=Action_WAITFORTIMER Name=Action_WAITFORTIMER1
        PauseTime=300.000000
    End Object
    Actions(7)=Action_WAITFORTIMER'myLevel.Action_WAITFORTIMER1'

Begin Object Class=Action_GOTOACTION Name=Action_GOTOACTION1
        ActionNumber=6
    End Object
    Actions(8)=Action_GOTOACTION'myLevel.Action_GOTOACTION1'

bLightChanged=True
    Level=LevelInfo'myLevel.LevelInfo0'
    Region=(Zone=ZoneInfo'myLevel.ZoneInfo8',iLeaf=65,ZoneNumber=2)
    Tag="ScriptedTrigger"
    PhysicsVolume=DefaultPhysicsVolume'myLevel.DefaultPhysicsVolume6'
    Location=(X=-6272.000000,Y=-2048.000000,Z=106.000000)
    bSelected=True
End Actor
Begin Surface
End Surface
End Map
If you want to add this to your map, select all of the code in the code block, copy it, then within UnrealEd right click somewhere in your level and do Edit->Paste->Here. That should paste what looks like a light switch into your map. Let me know if that works.
BrianTheCorrupt
Killer in Training

I tested the ScriptedTrigger after copying and pasting into the map, it didn't work. I checked the code within the PlayMusic sections after my first test, adding song titles to the Song slots to see if they'd trigger, but didn't. Is the ScriptedTrigger set to trigger itself, or is it to trigger MusicTriggers when they're within the map?

I might be misunderstanding something on this since I've never messed with Triggers until now. I did some work on trying to figure out how to make a UseTrigger set off a MusicTrigger, it worked, but results were odd. When I placed one MusicTrigger in the map, it worked fine, but placing a second MusicTrigger and testing caused the UseTrigger to set both off, playing two different songs at the same time. If a ScriptedTrigger doesn't work, I'll test out Use/MusicTriggers to see if I can or can't have Multiple Buttons to play the Music (I'll try to find a place to hide the Triggers away in a secret room with an Anti-Camp or Damage Volume, so players can't hide in there for the whole match).

Thanks for the help thus far Wail on this matter.
My Classes In MMs2:

DM-Tourian
DM-DarkAgonWastes
DM-CargoTrain
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

BrianTheCorrupt wrote:I tested the ScriptedTrigger after copying and pasting into the map, it didn't work. I checked the code within the PlayMusic sections after my first test, adding song titles to the Song slots to see if they'd trigger, but didn't. Is the ScriptedTrigger set to trigger itself, or is it to trigger MusicTriggers when they're within the map?

I might be misunderstanding something on this since I've never messed with Triggers until now. I did some work on trying to figure out how to make a UseTrigger set off a MusicTrigger, it worked, but results were odd. When I placed one MusicTrigger in the map, it worked fine, but placing a second MusicTrigger and testing caused the UseTrigger to set both off, playing two different songs at the same time. If a ScriptedTrigger doesn't work, I'll test out Use/MusicTriggers to see if I can or can't have Multiple Buttons to play the Music (I'll try to find a place to hide the Triggers away in a secret room with an Anti-Camp or Damage Volume, so players can't hide in there for the whole match).

Thanks for the help thus far Wail on this matter.
Hey Brian, couple of things.

1. The ScriptedTrigger I posted here is just an example. It won't work because you don't have an event called Wave1Begin to trigger it. There's a simple way to actually test it - Make a basic trigger, and set its event to Wave1Begin. (Also make sure to set the Song name in the Action_PlayMusic sections to actual songs.)

2. Music Triggers don't work online. Using a ScriptedTrigger with Action_PlayMusic will.