ONS-TIM-(THI)-Slate RELEASE -- DOWNLOAD AND TEST IT!!!!!

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
TheHunterIcemann
Pro but Noob

This is the "Optimized" version.

All you slow computer uses test this out.

ONS-TIM-(THI)-Slate
TheHunterIcemann
Pro but Noob

I love the enthusiasm for this one.........
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Busy week, will try it out later tonight. Probably need to look for the old version too for comparison purposes.
DW_ToxicWaste
Site Admin

Ditto on the week from hell. Will check it out this weekend.

Thanks THI.

Rich (TW)
* > Tommo
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

I haven't bothered to try the old version of this map yet, but a few comments here:

This is a pretty interesting map and I think it has a bit of room for improvement. Right now the only two vehicles on the map seem to be Raptors and AA Hellbenders. I think it could stand to have some Cicadas and maybe Mantas/Goliaths/RegularHellbenders added and maybe some custom vehicles. I'm thinking perhaps some Hammerheads, Hornets, and possibly some AP vehicles.

The center node mesh collision is not set properly. When I landed a Raptor on top of the mesh (and not the terrain) the Raptor fell through the rock mesh.

Performance wise the level ran fine for me, but that is in instant action. With 32 players it might be a different story. The fog could probably be brought in a tad, and adding some more rock platforms and/or rock towers/spires with antiportals and BSP inside would be another way to optimize the map.

I think the vehicle loadouts at some of the nodes are a bit wacky. For example, the side platforms with 2 nodes on them each get 4 raptors at each node. That's 8 total, quite a lot in my opinion. I think 4 would be enough there, but I would provide more ground vehicles at those nodes instead of just one AA Hellbender.

In any case, I see some potential in the level.
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin
Xfire: bomzin

Ok I downloaded , stuck it in the map file . clicky clicky and it plays a random map .

What am I doing wrong on installing this . Also when it downloads it comes in as file X6 .
TheHunterIcemann
Pro but Noob

Ya Wail-- I didn't mess with the playability of this one yet -- I was just hoping that I could get it to run faster. I'll start playing with the weird collision stuff later after it runs well on slow machines. By the way -- the vehicle placement was NOT my idea -- I just left it alone for now, but I had the same ideas that you did to fix that up.

Did anyone else have download problems?

Ya -- this week must have sucked all over the country then -- I was majorly booked as well.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Yeah, I was pretty sure that most of the gameplay stuff was preserved.

I think you need to add a version number to the map so that you can make revisions without potential screw ups.
TheHunterIcemann
Pro but Noob

Oh don't worry, I've got tons of backups.....
TheHunterIcemann
Pro but Noob

Well -- since no one has tested this for me -- TW, you wanna post it on the server?

It has some vehicle mods as well....