Maps that suck part 652654354315

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
DW_KarmaKat
Site Admin
Xfire: KarmaKat

WailofSuicide wrote:
40 Shards wrote:Whatever happened to 28 Weeks Later? I kinda enjoyed that map.
Are you trying to give me an aneurysm?
Yikes!! 10 new grey hairs....Shards!!! It's your fault!!!

;)

KKat

:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

There's a reason why it's tagged beta...

The mapper is alarmed of this, and beta II is on its way.

In beta I that map wasn't zoned at all so your machines were running the entire map at once. Now that the map is zoned, it should triple the speed. The fire emitters show little effect on performance. Each emitter renders 13 particles a piece & there's only about 20 emitters. That's nothing compare to the power node that runs 300 particles.
Other optimizing techniques will be applied (ie: antiportals).

Gameplay is also going to be modified as well. He is aware of the tank spamming on the 3rd floor. Next beta should fix that.

Also, whenever you're sending a complaint, please don't post everyone's names on it. Everyone is entitled an opinion, but that also means they don't match yours. I know many people also believe that this map has potential. I don't know about them, but I also think that this is better than the triple slap map. The dusty atmosphere takes the toll as it triumphs the typical boxy blank map.

Lastly, stop the stream of complaints. You made the playing experience quite horrible for the players by complaining and whining for the entire game. Just one complaint (or better yet suggestive ideas*hint*hint*) will be a mature way to say fix the map rather than saying "Must DIE or pure horsepiss."
If you don't like it, you can always jump into the Omni server, or better yet, get some fresh air & play some football.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Xfire: 40shards

TBH nightmorph that's a pretty childish response. Not only that but you had dismissed the map almost entirely before the fighting had even started, then left midway through the single game you've played on it. You also seemed to be trying to force people to adopt your point of view, so to you it may seem like everyone playing at the time hated it when that simply isn't true. Whilst I can't say anything about the frame rate issues, since I've only played it on my more powerful computer so far, I'm sure Boss knows what he's talking about in regards to optimization. I'll admit the map has its issues, especially the node setup (I seemed to be the only player on my team who knew where they were going), but unlike Bslap it has an element of - shock horror - tactics and doesn't involve an endless battle between tanks for two nodes a few metres apart. I'm sure once the node setup gets sorted it'll be an enjoyable experience, if not exactly the best map ever, so long as it doesn't get constantly overplayed.

On a side note to the mapper, maybe the stray lava volumes should be deleted since the rest of the lava isn't covered by them.

Whilst I'm here, the other new map Camo has a decent foundation but needs work on a few key areas:
  • It's too small for EONS Scorpions. Whilst it is fun self-destructing them on tanks, at least add a decent number of regular scorps.
  • Player starts and weap lockers are too far away from each other, as are some vehicle spawns.
  • The content of the weap lockers themselves is pretty bad, it should be easier to obtain AVRiLs.
  • Many people end up falling in the river since it isn't obvious some routes lead there. Maybe some barriers should be put in place?
Skyline
1337 Haxor

nightmorph wrote:Try playing the game with a three-year old Athlon and a 7600GT.
Lol, already do that :happy8:
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

you guys act as if a three year old Athlon or a 7600 gt can't handle anything Ut2004 throws at it, uh your wrong fellas thats what I had for the longest time those cpu's and gpu's are newer than the game by a year. this game when released was top bleeding edge but you are ahead of the game easily now. back off your settings just a bit and you should be fine.

No shame, no dishonor, will run away to fight another day!
ACY
Draco
Camper
Xfire: dracothedragon73

nightmorph wrote:Try playing the game with a three-year old Athlon and a 7600GT.
lol when ut2k4 first game out i played the game for years with a P4 1.5ghz, 384mb ram, and a geforce2 64mb video card (basically a pc from 1999-2000)...and to keep it all cool i had a floor fan sticking out the side of the case lmfao, i doubt anyone can beat that. the point of the story is i could have played this game in ONS on basically a decade old machine, a 3 year old pc with a 7600gt much MORE than enough to get ample fps in ut2k4.
DW_Mobius
DW Clan Member
Xfire: redeemermma

40 Shards wrote:
Ohhhh..... Rofl.

That's the exact setup I use for CoD4... You can ask ANYONE (who's played both games) which game is harder on your system.

It amuses me when I go back to UT2k4 and I can turn it up to my 22" Widescreen's native resolution at 1680x1050 with most of the settings maxed...
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

DW_Mobius wrote:
40 Shards wrote:
Ohhhh..... Rofl.

That's the exact setup I use for CoD4... You can ask ANYONE (who's played both games) which game is harder on your system.

It amuses me when I go back to UT2k4 and I can turn it up to my 22" Widescreen's native resolution at 1680x1050 with most of the settings maxed...

Mobius they act as if their machines are terrible for Ut2004 man they must have some weird setup or a whole bunch of crap running in the background to eat up cpu and gpu usage because I know the card you have which is the twin to mine :geek: does just fine on all styles of maps.

And yeah COD4 is tougher and you qon at that so I really hate it when you make your excursions into the Mash :cheers:

No shame, no dishonor, will run away to fight another day!
ACY
Skyline
1337 Haxor

Athlon 2500 + Radeon 9550 -> Q8200 + XFX HD4850 FTW
Last edited by Skyline on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skyline
1337 Haxor

One map I would like to see go is Arcis Outpost - it's like DeathDome but worse. In the entire match played earlier, not one single shot was fired at the core, instead it was just one endless fight over the centre node. Simply put, it's almost impossible to gain any advantage over the other team to stop it going into OT. I know it's already a one-rounder, so I simply propose either:
  • Shorten the round to stop people getting bored and spawnkilling with mantas
  • Halve the centre node's charging time
  • Or end the pain and just get rid of it