How do you like War so far ?

UT3 should be coming soon with a new gametype, improved vehicles, and MORE PLAYERS! Death Warrant will be there with hardware to spare!
DW_StaticLan
1337 Haxor

Bought it...played it...put it away.

It's not was I expected or hoped for. At this time I'm on the fence with Warfare. Feels to me that Epic went for the Game View not Game Play.

I do have to ask this, why does everyone like the orb so much? IMO, after so many times of people complaining about boards lasting forever, this will cause that all over again.

You'll be able to find me on 2k4 or COD4 for now.

Static
DW_ChocoCake
DW Clan Member

The gameplay WOULD be fun if there was no lag or low framerates, however these two issues really make warfare difficult to play. Another thing I noticed is the imbalance on some maps. On certain maps like Islander or OnyxCoast one side has more vehicles than the other, or the primary node is much more closer to one side. These unsymmetrical maps don't work very well in pub games and usually lead to a one-sided finish.
The other issue that needs to be addressed is the imbalance between foot soldiers and vehicles; vehicles are far more powerful then foot soldiers soldiers. Shock rifles barely damage mantas and air vehicles and it takes many many rockets to destroy a ground vehicle. The only effective way to destroy an vehicle on foot is to use an AVRIL, but unfortunately AVRILS are always placed out of the way and are hard to get. So far I think the orb is working, but some maps, such as Downtown, need to be tweaked so the winning team can't just camp their primary node with the orb preventing the loosing team from getting a comeback. In some occasions the orb causes long stalemates. Other than this, my only other issues are issues related to the game in general, such as the inaccurate shock rile and the UI. When there is a good game going, warfare is fun.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

I don't really have a problem with the asymmetrical maps, you just have to understand that they're not meant to be played as 2 teams on equal footing, but more like assault maps with one team on defense and one on offense.
d2frob
1337 Haxor

SweetTooth wrote:
d2frob wrote:o.O this is odd. Seems to be a euro/us divide. You guys seem to hate it yet the top euro teams all like it. The single node maps like sinkhole and market district are great fun imo thanks to the orb. Not played everything yet but so far i love it.

huggley hates it so not sure what you are talking about. and sinkhole is a bad version of primeval without the spidermines and market district isnt even ONS or War... it is TDM with nodes.
huggley isn't everyone. warfare seems to have burst the ons 'pro' bubble... infact huggley hasn't even play warfare so erm yeah.. i'm enjoying it.
noxiousCaitSith
1337 Haxor

well with onyx coast, the team with the tanks has pretty much 1 path that they can go on and the baracades prevent them from getting to the core so i think they sorta even it out...cause it depends on who's playing. sometimes one team will win 2 times in a row...a lot of people are still trying to figure it out so once people get used to it i think it'll be better. it seems like you have to do a lot more defending nodes cause of the orb...or we can just have people make onslaught maps.
WHIPperSNAPper
1337 Haxor

I've played it just a little bit. I don't completely understand what the rules are for the "prime node" yet, but here are my thoughts:

1. The overview map is annoying, especially when some of the nodes start flashing and expanding in size. I really prefer the UT 2004 ONS overview maps.

2. I could live without the orb; I thought UT 2004 ONS was fine the way it was. (This is another case of Epic messing around with a game type that has proven successful and mucking it up.)

3. I really don't want to have a voice issuing commands to me all the time. "Attack the enemy's primary node.", etc. I'd prefer not to have all that hand holding. Maybe there's a way to turn it off.

Hopefully, the mapper and mod community will be able to fix it. I could live with the orbs, but I don't like the overview map right now; I really hate it.

That having been said--the no-vehicles CTF (real CTF) rocks! It's too bad that so few people are playing. If you didn't like the hitscan floaty-dodgy CTF in UT 2004, give UT3 CTF a try--it feels more like the insanely fun and successful UT99 CTF.
DW_e_aLpHa
DW Clan Member

-/ - mistake trying to play 2k4 ONS in UT3 Warfare -/ Not the same game fellas.
..:: Sworn to a Secrecy ::..
==||+ Beast Of Blood +||==
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

I think the orb is probably ideal for choke node and single primary setups. I'm not so sure about it in the context of the dual primary ONS that I'm used to.
d2frob
1337 Haxor

e_aLpHa wrote:-/ - mistake trying to play 2k4 ONS in UT3 Warfare -/ Not the same game fellas.
Should be an official message on the epic forums..i mean jeez, talk about stubborn nostalgia :P

I agree wail, choke points are suitable for warfare but for onslaught tended to cause stalemates. Time will tell how node setups go :)
noxiousCaitSith
1337 Haxor

speaking of nothing...hitsounds plz?