Windows 7 promotion: $30 price tag for students

Post links/info/coupon codes for hot deals you find on the internet
DW_Damaged
DW Clan Member

1st of all you need a .EDU email address to get this or check there FAQ for other eligible institutions.

2nd of all I am not a fan of doing an upgrade of any OS because sooner or later you will have problems. But even though this is an upgrade version you can do a Full custom installation but this requires you to install the OS 2 times. The 1st time you install without entering the CD key and then reinstall it again using the CD key (You can Google on how to do this). After completing this you will have a Windows.old folder that can be deleted once the custom install is completed. The offer shows Windows Home Premium Upgrade but you can click on the Need to join your school's network domain and you can get Windows 7 Professional upgrade edition. Both 32bit and 64bit are available.

But for $30 you can't beat it and add $13 and they will send you the media instead of downloading the file and burning it to a DVD.

Like so many of the recent Windows 7 promotions, it’s a limited time offer with more than a few caveats. But, details aside, Microsoft is offering college students Windows 7 for $29.99, according to a new deal announced on September 17.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=4003

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/ ... 3401679892
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

FYI I have read reports that you do not have to do the double install like you did with Vista for the upgrade disc, however I have not confirmed this. I will be able to let you know for sure once my copy of 7 Pro x64 arrives.
Cheers, Damnidge
Savage
DW Clan Member
Xfire: savagedogg38

That's great, thanks for sharing Damaged. I'll be looking into that for sure. thanks again!
DW_Damaged
DW Clan Member

When this promotion started Digital River was sending out an executable file to people but this caused a lot of problems so Digital river is now sending out .ISO files so you can burn them to DVD.

Here is a link with 3 ways to use the upgrade media to do a clean install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_ ... _media.asp

Also you can get the OEM version of Windows 7 for a lot cheaper. You don't get support from MS with the OEM version but I don't need that. I got the Home Premium OEM full version for $107 because I don't need or use the features in Professional or Ultimate. I saved $100 and I was 3rd in line at CompUSA and got a $77 gift card.

Just found out yesterday my boss is buying all of us at work the Ultimate version for home. I told him thanks a lot for telling me a week after I bought it.
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

Thanks for posting that link Damaged. The registry change was the method I had heard about.

Also, if you want to sell that copy of ultimate let me know :ssmile:
Cheers, Damnidge