Tank vs Manta...HELP!

Discuss all things related to our custom map 32 player ONS server
Evolution
Killer in Training

Zapitista wrote:one thing i have learned, is to never get out of the tank during a fight.

the other guy gets in the tank, and BOOM! im toast.

great advice yall, keep it coming.
next time dont jump out till the tank has almost no health, then when the other guy jumps in you just hit him with a rocket, and ka boom, he/she be dead
DW_Ifondlesweaters
DW Clan Member

Storm, you know just as well as anybody else that my headshots are hard earned with the secondary fire Sniper Rifle/Lightning Gun.

:la:

Wreck-a-nize.
Urtho
Camper

DW_Bomzin wrote:yep.

Now how about those pesky Raptors. :toothy7:
What, I've got to do EVERYTHING for you guys now???

There's a few things you can do in a Tank vs Raptor fight but you have to realize first off that a large percentage of the time you're simply going to lose out to the airpower in a strait up fight. That's just the way the game was designed, and the Raptor (and later on the Cicada) is the counter vehicle to the very powerful Goliath. It was designed to have a decided advantage so don't feel bad if you lose many fights.

That said, there's a few things you can try.

1. Have godly insane aim. This means you can accurately predict where an actively evading raptor pilot will move and be given all lag issues. Obviously this is the best solution and if you can do it people will constantly curse you out and call you a cheater. Which is always tons of fun, believe me.

You usually only get one or at most two chances to hit an attacking flyboy before they get over your head. So this is an all or nothing type of deal. If you hit, you've got a sure kill, if you miss, your tank is most likely toast or at least smoking really badly.

A few things to remember - Raptors at speed have limited lateral movement, so if someone is coming up on you fast they won't be moving too far off of their approach vector. Also you need to be patient and pick your moment to fire - if someone is moving in a relatively strait line I like to place the cannon on that line and simply wait until they're about to pass over my crosshair. Try not to move yourself too much either - moving Eagle Eyes can be done but you're just adding to your complications if you try one. Beyond that, only experience can really help you here - since the shell is not hitscan, you'll just have to get a feel for getting those good 'ol eagle eyes.

2. Never wait until a raptor is overhead to fire off an avril at it. That is just asking for you to get a suicide as the raptor plasma detonates your missle and they get a free tank. If you can see one coming for you get out and fire an avril before they get close. If you get them far enough away, they now have 150 health left and you can take them out somewhat easily with the minigun or your shock rifle. As a sidenote for this point, be careful when and where you bail in order to take on airpower. I trust I don't have to say that you simply do not bail when any ground troops or really an enemy personal are still in your immediate vicinity. Dying in your tank is a lot better option than having your 1/3 health tank stolen and then healed back up to full power by two or three nearby enemy. Also bailing too soon after raptor gets on top of you will just give the pilot a chance to jack your tank. Speaking of which...

3. One other thing I like to use on occasion is the tank trap method already mentioned here. Use this if your tank is already smoking and isn't going to last under a direct assault for much longer anyways. When your tank gets down to around 100 - 150 health go ahead and bail, making sure you can be clearly seen on foot apart from your tank. Many players (not most but still a surprising number) will bail from a full health raptor to take a chance on stealing a low health tank. When you hear the alarm, just hit the tank with a primary flak shot or two or some rockets and you've got an easy kill and a fresh raptor of your own in which to continue the fight. Do try to make sure you bail or at least move towards the side opposite of where you left the gun pointing when you try this so you don't give the other guy an easy splash tank kill.

I trust that this has helped you out. :)
DW_ToxicWaste
Site Admin

Of course, none of this hogwash works on a "Professional Raptor Pilot" :compress:

$2 Raptor Whore
Curly_Oxide
Camper

What do you mean when you say the tankshot is not hitscan? And also, whatever happened to .38 Special, the Raptor Master?
Don´t worry, He´s got the whole world in His hands.