Confessions of an ONS Junkie

Discuss all things related to our custom map 32 player ONS server
DW_StaticLan
1337 Haxor

I've tried...really I have. For 5+ months I hid the keys to the hellbender, put the tarp over the turret, and left the weapons locker..locked.
I have fallen from the wagon and given in to the love known as Onslaught. The sweet sound of flak, a tank starting up in the distance, manta's whistling by, and that ever sweet sound of death in the air. It's a drug that flows through my veins and haunts my dreams day and night. I experimented with other highs but this one is the real deal. These imposters I speak of were slow moving and couldn't bring the ultimate adrenaline rush! :shaking2: That feeling you get when you're standing at a node and see a redeemer coming over a hill towards you and trying to get away. When you're in a fire fight with 4 opposing players and you quickly realize you're the only one still standing. Those late nights trying not to get sick riding shotgun in the hell bender [KarmaKat voted #1 Driver of 2008 by JDPower and Associates] watching bodies going in all directions.
Onslaught is in my blood...
DW_Damaged
DW Clan Member

StaticLan wrote:These imposters I speak of were slow moving and couldn't bring the ultimate adrenaline rush! :shaking2: That feeling you get when you're standing at a node and see a redeemer coming over a hill towards you and trying to get away. When you're in a fire fight with 4 opposing players and you quickly realize you're the only one still standing.
Never played Onslaught but it sounds a lot like COD4 S&D without the Deemer :laughing3:
DW_StaticLan
1337 Haxor

Damaged wrote:Never played Onslaught but it sounds a lot like COD4 S&D without the Deemer
You have to come try it!! One of those imposters was COD4.... :silent:
DW_KarmaKat
Site Admin
Xfire: KarmaKat

StaticLan wrote:......Those late nights trying not to get sick riding shotgun in the hell bender [KarmaKat voted #1 Driver of 2008 by JDPower and Associates] watching bodies going in all directions.
Onslaught is in my blood...
Amen, my DW Brother!!!! :salute:

Heh...just don't try to take away my keys! ;)

KKat
:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
DW_BrainPan
DW Clan Member

4 out of 5 dentists (JimmyTheDentist among them) recommend Onslaught to their patients (the fifth one was banned for hacking).
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who read binary, and everyone else.
4013 is only a FAD
And 2989? Well that's just BAD
DW_Jimmythedentist
DW Clan Member

Not only am I unable to quit - I can’t even CUT BACK on the hours and hours and hours I spend here!

I’ve tried - sort of. Every once in a while I’ll notice the “Time Played” number next to my name looming embarrassingly large above everybody else’s. That’s when I say to myself . . . “Self, you’ve got to get a grip!”

But its no use.

This is the first and only game I’ve ever owned. I don’t have anything to compare it too like StaticLan. But his description captures the nuance of this site right nicely. And if he says the other games are mere “imposters” then that’s good enough for me!

The maps themselves, well, sure they’re fun. Especially the rare satisfaction of actually killing some of you folks with the “DW” in front of your names. But the real reason I come back - over and over - is because the “regulars” here are too damned entertaining to go without for very long.

I’m usually giggling all the way through a contest. The unexpected social reference thrown out there for everybody to enjoy. The exasperation shared by some poor victim and invariably ignored by everybody else. The “whiners” put in their place by the “good sports“. The noobs getting abused by the overly experienced. I just can’t get enough.

This microcosm called Spam Vikings obviously seems much more exciting than the real world. Much more honest than the real world for certain.

Truly, its “the fun bunch” that has me hooked. And as BrainPan says, I’d recommend it, without hesitation, to any who would listen.

p.s. that poor girl probably has abs like I can only imagine I have.
DW_Ifondlesweaters
DW Clan Member

It was back in my college days. Someone said, "Hey man, ya wanna get high? Check out this demo. First hit's free, then it's $40 bucks after that." I was young, naive, and looking for a new buzz. At first I was unsure, lots of drama and people bitching. Then I found SV.

Never stopped since. Nothing beats the gameplay, the teamwork, the players...although I wish people were still cranking out new maps. I feel like we have one giant map on the server called DeathSpamBitchDreamGritMinusTankMeUP. I enjoy the game so much more when a team works together, so I apologize if I annoy anyone on the mic. I imagine many people have me muted!

When I get a new rig, I may play COD4--but I can see myself being one of the last people on the UT2004 boat. I cling to my ONS/Spam Vikings like rural Pennsylvanians "cling to their guns and religion."
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Spam Vikings is in need for maps??
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

D2Boss wrote:Spam Vikings is in need for maps??
Yes.

I have one ONS map that's maybe around 20% done and I've been making it a higher priority lately.

The other night I sat down and drew up a layout for a Tank map, since I enjoy the Tank gameplay but am a bit tired of Minus.
Skyline
1337 Haxor
Xfire: 40shards

D2Boss wrote:Spam Vikings is in need for maps??
Lol, you beat me to MM, you can't beat me to SV as well :P

You haven't seen my cloaking levi anyway... (pun not intended)