Far Cry 2 Review

Talk about anything gaming related which is not covered by our game specific forums (i.e. new games coming out, gaming hardware, server suggestions, etc.)
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

So, I had a gift certificate to Fry's from a friend. I went there with two choices in mind: Far Cry 2 for PC or de Blob for Wii. I'm wishing at this very moment I was coloring buildings with a cute colorful blob instead of writing this review.

I have played both the first person game, as well as ranked and unranked online play. Here are my impressions:

Pros:

1. The flame thrower is fun to use on snipers when you sneak up on them, and seems to be getting the noob remarks from the cool guys who use easy autos. Also, the nade launcher on incoming vehicles is cool. Quite fun.

2. You have a lot of explosive things to shoot like propane tanks, barrels, etc. to kill enemies, which can be fun to wait for them and place a well aimed shot.

Cons:

1. The "heal yourself" makes this game ridiculously stupid for anything but close range combat. A simple key allows you to, through a graphic animation, pull, cut, or push a bullet out of your arm and you are instantly at full health. It also sometimes pops broken arms or joints, and tamps out fires if someone hit you with a flame thrower. I was sniping and would head shot someone with my Dragunov in a far bunker, and all they had to do was move out of sight, heal themselves, and pop their head back out. I shot someone 7 times in the head before they finally took a clean enough shot for the game to kill them. Then, even after all that, a teammate just came over and healed them. VERY ANNOYING.

2. While a few custom maps have been interesting, because this is in an African desert setting everything is mainly ugly and drab in my opinion.

3. The overall graphics seem like something from a few years ago. I honestly think there are some UT2004 maps prettier than this game. The install is only around 3 GB. After things burn they leave this plain half-assed burned texture.

4. Constant drops from online servers, especially ranked servers. If this happens during game you lose all the xp you had been building during that match.

5. Overall bad implementation of realistic damage. I hit someone in the face with a scoped grenade launcher twice and they just healed themselves.

6. Your character in first person has malaria and has to constantly heal himself.

7. Enemy AI in single player can be really bad. Like frozen bots in UT bad.

I could go on with more but it's just depressing me. There seems to be a bad trend out for crappy games. Crysis has an amazing first player game, but multiplayer sucks. I hope the next UT goes back to be more like UT2004!

Who knows, maybe someone here has Far Cry 2 and likes it, but for me I'm already putting it up on half.com.

For me, I'm going back to my favs - UT2004:ONS, CoD4, and Red Orchestra who has two great mods out for it =) I have my fingers crossed for CoD: World at War.

l8r all.
DW_StaticLan
1337 Haxor

Thanks for the great info on this one!! Glad I didn't get my hopes up....
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

Glad I helped someone. This taught me a lesson though (one I should have learned from UT3) and that is to wait for all the reviews first. IGN made this game seem awesome, when reality is much different.

I was not the only one trying to sell it used. It was less than a month after its release and I had to lower the sale price to $30 before it sold used! Oh well, now I can get de Blob =)
Cheers, Damnidge
DW_StaticLan
1337 Haxor

It sucks it has to be that way! I remember reading gaming magazines and seeing games months to almost a year before they came out and just plain excited about them... when they came out I got what I wanted. Now, not even close. I don't read the magazines and wait until I can get a trusted opinion about something before even thinking of spending the money on it. SAD! :pukeright:
DW_Hamster
DW Clan Member

Damnidge wrote:I have my fingers crossed for CoD: World at War.
Awesome single-player campaign - the best Call of Duty single-player campaign IMO (at least the Soviet missions). So-so multiplayer. I would just wait until the price drops.
"There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do...Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong." - Mazer Rackham
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

never saw this - thx for the info. I did not get it so i'll wait until it's cheaper, but that could be a while because COD4 is still around $50 I think. I finially finished the single player on Crysis and Crysis Warhead which both rocked. I still need to do the single player for COD4!
Cheers, Damnidge
camelsauce

To be a little more fair since the games been out a year plus now. Can you please do another review on it. All the server drops have been fixed for along time now (thanks Sony) and the graffix in the game are amazing better then any UT game ive played ever. It has a very well made graffix engine that was made so that the user could build their own maps ect and all he stock maps were just that, and to keep the lagg down. The only thing i can say that bothers me now playing far cry 2 is that you can make as many ubi.com accounts as you like which helps the hackers get back in after being banned. And also the hit detection is still some what off but not aways. Depends on the map your playing and to alot of people that claim to even notice this issue. Well after being spectated during a round it's actually them aiming just the scope over a blind/wall and the barrel is actaully behind it (user error). Thanks in advanced! :salute:
«¤ÊX§ÂÐVØCÂTʤ»