Computers with hardware.

Talk about anything gaming related which is not covered by our game specific forums (i.e. new games coming out, gaming hardware, server suggestions, etc.)
Marbles
Pro but Noob

DW_Ant wrote:& don't say 'that's what she said' because that's old.
When did I say that?

And i looking to save up to build a computer. I played my friends yesterday and holy cow. Way better than mine. So yeah I am looking for a PCI express motherboard and duel core processor
MMA>Marbles
MMA>Marbles_WM
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Marbles wrote:So yeah I am looking for a PCI express motherboard and duel core processor
Even though you are not going to college, you should start saving up for an apartment or some shelter. I believe you're turning 18 soon, and the time is near to leave the nest.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Lol... Well I am not sure about college by myself. I kinda wanna live at home for a year after I graduate and save up money then. Move in with like 2 of my friends to an apartment or something. =D Anyways this is getting way off topic...

PS. Edit TrainStation.... BLEH
MMA>Marbles
MMA>Marbles_WM
Marbles
Pro but Noob

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820141434

I only have 512MB should i get? and i only have 2 slots so this would work fine. My motherboard can only have 1 GB max anyways =D
MMA>Marbles
MMA>Marbles_WM
Skyline
1337 Haxor
Xfire: 40shards

Well, there's not much point in upgrading your RAM if you're gonna get a new computer anyway...

I was in the same boat as you recently (upgrade vs. new PC - before I discovered I had a Socket A mobo). It all really depends on what you want, and whether you're thinking long-term or short-term. If you really don't mind being stuck playing older games for now, or you won't need your own computer for much longer (ie. if you'll be able to use your friend's PC) then go up to 1GB and possibly get a new GPU or CPU, but bear in mind you'll be severely limited by your motherboard and your frames may not improve as much as you might like. However, if you want to play new games or you'd rather think long-term then this would be a very good time to get a new PC. I'm now getting a HD4770/E6850/4GB comp pretty soon for sub-£500, which in the long-term will be far better value than squeezing everything I can out of my current system, and if needed I'll still be able to upgrade it further.

It's all up to you though Marbles :faroah:
Marbles
Pro but Noob

That's why I asked.. I dunno
MMA>Marbles
MMA>Marbles_WM
Kyomaa
Killer in Training

You should just buy a new computer. Upgrading is a total waste of money imo. I could build you one on NewEgg for around 1000 dollars, including monitor mouse and keyboard. And they are very simple to put together imo. I usually buy shuttle cases, which already have the mobo and power supply installed. So all you have to do from there is put in the HDD, CPU, Vid Card, and RAM. I use thier onboard sound and network, and they work just fine for me. I used to buy computers off Alienware/Cyberpower, until I discovered how easy it is to put together these shuttle cases. If you're interested PM me and I'm sure I can come up with something for you.
Server 1:
MMA>Kyomaa - WM (in progress)

Server 2:
MMA>Kyomaa - AM (110 -- retired for now.)
MMA>Kyoma - WM (135 and rising...)
Marius
Killer in Training

I agree with Kyoma.

I bought my PC off Cyberpower, and am quite happy with it... However doing the research on GPU's and CPU's and the games you want to play makes your choices fit YOU.

For UT2004, you could get 1 or 2 8800 video cards.. One will run with 16x AF and maybe 4x AA.. Two will run 16x AF and 8xQ AA. All settings max, of course.

CPU.. well ut2004 only uses one core. You could go with a midrange dual core CPU, or if you are seriously looking at any new and upcoming games, you could get a quad core. I have a quad core and it runs UT2004 fine (due to GPU). I would say at least a 2.6+ ghz dual core, or 2.4+ ghz quad core. Prices have come way down since I bought my system.

For your motherboard.. since you are looking for price.. please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD make sure it is DDR2, not DDR3.

Your wallet will hate you forever if you get a DDR3 Mobo. DDR2 is DIRT CHEAP now.. 4 gigs for ~$65 at Fry's.

OH.. did not even mention the Graphics card memory. I would say go with a 512 or 1 gig. Also depends on the OS you are going to put on. I have an x64 OS, so I have 4 GB RAM and 2 GB VRAM. Going to get 4 more GB RAM soon.

However if you are going to use a x32 OS, go for (at the most) 1 GB of VRAM (which means 512 each if you do SLI) and 2+ GB RAM.

THESE ARE ONLY RECCOMENDATIONS.. but I have done a lot of research into what I actually bought when I paid $1700 to Cyberpower and what else is out there. Price is not everything.
Kyomaa
Killer in Training

Yeah. It just all depends on what you know how to do, and how much you're willing to spend. Since I built my computer, I decided I would never buy another custom again. That and the last system I bought through CyberPower (3rd machine from them), crapped out 2 weeks after I got it, and it took me almost 2 months to get my money back. After I got my money back, I bought all the parts from NewEgg and built a nice little machine for around 1000 bucks. :P It does the job I need it to do. However with some of the newer games out, I'm going to buy a new one! :) I'll get me a X58 Shuttle case/mobo/power supply/heatsink combo, a Core i7 processor, probably the low end one, being as how I don't feel like spending between 500-1000 dollars on a processor that barely shows any difference. 6-12gb ram depending on the price of it and all that. Personally, I don't care for SLI/CrossFire. Games will never catch up to technology, and it's always better to buy 1 500 dollar card, then to buy 2 250 dollar cards imo. Especially since Shuttle cases are tiny. Get me 2 300gb raptor drives, or 1 solid state and a 1TB drive for data, depending of course. Usually never buy a sound card, cause they cause more problems then they're worth, same with NICs. OnBoard is just fine. My roomy has my old computer, with one of the KillerNICs and it sucks. He lags way more than I do, all the time. Gunna get me 2 22-24in monitors, depending on how much room I have. :) I already put all that together for around 2k with gaming keyboard and a mouse, and a nice mousepad. And that'll last me a couple years probably. With Shuttle it's all so easy to put together. All I do is pop in the cpu, follow the directions and it's cake. Put on some thermal grease, once again just look at the pictures and whatever and you'll be fine. Put on the heatsink. Put in the cards, slap in the drives, and boot it up!! It's really not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. Course I don't buy mobo/case/power supply seperate. So mine come all put together already. However, I get a computer with the parts I want in it. I know they'll work good together. NewEgg pwns with warranties and shit. And I save myself a good chunk of money. :D Like I said, I'm willing to help find good deals, and do research to see what works good together if you need help. :) Don't upgrade an old shitty computer, just buy a new one. It's much more cost effecient. However, if you want support/warranties all that....Def buy from Dell/Apple/CyberPower/AlienWare places like that.
Server 1:
MMA>Kyomaa - WM (in progress)

Server 2:
MMA>Kyomaa - AM (110 -- retired for now.)
MMA>Kyoma - WM (135 and rising...)
Marbles
Pro but Noob

holy cow!! haha i haven't been on in like a month or so and great replies thanks. Yeah. I have been considering buying a new computer. But I need a job first xD and if i do it would most likely be around 600dollars. the only expensive thing i would buy would be the processor and vid card. everything else would be lower in price.
MMA>Marbles
MMA>Marbles_WM