Windows Runtime Error

Talk about anything gaming related which is not covered by our game specific forums (i.e. new games coming out, gaming hardware, server suggestions, etc.)
Marbles
Pro but Noob

I can't play ut2004 right now. I defragmented my hard drive and now it gives me a runtime error. I am reinstalling ut to see if it helps.... Any ideas?
MMA>Marbles
MMA>Marbles_WM
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Don't defrag it next time.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Xfire: jonk27

:P you know for small HDs that is the best thing to do when it starts saying "low virtual memory" (except for deleting stuff but still)
Marbles
Pro but Noob

Then how do I fix this?
MMA>Marbles
MMA>Marbles_WM
DW_Cheapshot
DW Clan Member

Are you trying to relate [low virtual memory] to a hard drive that needs to be defragmented.
You need to explain this to me. A fragmented drive , although very hard to feel will slow your
access time to the drive. It cannot and will not cause low virtual memory problems.
YOU need to delete stuffs off of your drive. If this drive is being used for virtual memory it can only
mean the drive does not have enough space for virtual memory when it is needed. If this were true
you should be getting many other hard drive, almost full complaints. It sounds like another issue
that is manifesting it self via ut. Have you updated anything recently. video or system. or especially
.net from Microsoft?

How much ram do you have in this machine. It sounds like you may not have enough ram and
windows is using the hard drive for added memory. This can really slow a machine down.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Did reinstalling the game fix it, I do believe that is what we need to know next.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Emerson
Marbles
Pro but Noob

Thank you cheap =D Good answer. I got it running somehow. This is exactly what I did.

Rebooted. Didn't work still.
Tried to run in safe mode without software rendering. Didn't work.
Scanned for viruses all night last night and actually defragmented again...(I know sounds stupid)
Finished Virus Scan but defrag was only at 52% didn't wanna wait so I canceled.
Tried safe mode again with software rendering. It booted. So I went to settings and put it on 3D and it runs again =D

umm yeah about my ram... 512mb.....
not really a gaming machine in anyway. =[
MMA>Marbles
MMA>Marbles_WM
Jon!
1337 Haxor

yeah thing is if a drive is REALLY fragged, it can be annoying that it may pass below the mark. and the last thing you need with 512 MB RAM is low VM.
Marbles
Pro but Noob

lmao VM i got one of those pop ups the other day xD i was playing WoW and had 3 windows open =P and it popped up and man it sucked =P
MMA>Marbles
MMA>Marbles_WM
Jon!
1337 Haxor

c, who's a genius?
Monsterboy

Install the ut2k4. Start the unreal editor and run that first. Usually there is no icon for it so get to it through the start->programs. Then while the editor is open, run a map. Close the editor then try running the game again.