Unreal Tournament 4

Talk about anything gaming related which is not covered by our game specific forums (i.e. new games coming out, gaming hardware, server suggestions, etc.)
Savage
DW Clan Member
Xfire: savagedogg38

DW_Savage wrote:I also think some modders and mappers are intimidated by the technology and maybe even overwhelmed by it and just don't know where to start and a lot of guys just don't have PCs that can hack it.
... And for good reason, it is so advanced and was ahead of its time.

I would also like to add that if you don't like UT3 for whatever reason, interface wasn't designed well or not enough game-play options, then give it another try. Their have been improvements by Epic as well as the mod community, you may be supprised; However, if you are not playing because you think Epic short changed you or ripped you off in some way, don't play it. That is fine by me, doesn't bother me a bit. Although, Don't be hypocritical, stop playing 2k4 also. You wish to not support Epic and show them you're upset, stop playing all their games and even those using the unreal engine. That is a whole lot of games. Really protest, not half protest. That is just silly. Go all the way.
Savage
DW Clan Member

DW_Fry wrote:Maybe that's part of the problem... I REALLY don't want it to be a UT3 or UT2004 only type of deal. I don't mean to bash on 2k4 at all, I'm just really excited about the potential of UT3.
I'm really excited about it as well. Sometimes someone will be talking about 2k4 and it will remind me of something in UT3 and I'll say something like, "Yea, you should see UT3, it has this and that and so-forth and so-on!" and I can feel them roll their eyes while they say something to the effect of "Oh boy, here we go again." I'm sorry but I don't say those things when you talk about 2k4 or TF2 or COD and I don't appreciate it in return, not that I expect anyone to care about my feelings. The last straw was when someone stated that it wasn't appropriate to have a UT3 conversation in a non-UT3 channel yet people use whatever channel for whatever game and have whatever conversation and even go completely off topic to talk about their underwear drawer and how they like to consume feces on Thursdays. That is when I made my own channel where people can talk about UT3 or whatever else they wish to discuss. Sad, isn't it? We need to get back to the fact that we are a gaming community and we are all on the same team. Nobodies is trying to steal anybody. We are all here to have fun and have fun playing as a team no matter what game and the more people you have playing a game, the more fun it is. This isn't high school.
DW_Fry wrote:When I play, I usually go where the DWs are, whatever game it is.
I have heard the same from many casual players that play 2k4, that is why I suggest a day to play to bring others in that may be scrolling the UT3 servers that have no idea what Monster Mash is or who DW is. Just one day a month would create a buzz and twice a month consistently would get this project off the ground for sure. People will anticipate the day and others will find our server and see the numbers, more and more will play to where it wont only be fun to them but to us as well.
DW_Ifondlesweaters
DW Clan Member

I'm pumped for BioShock 2, as well. Bioshock was one of the most creative and energetic games I've EVER played. Hope the sequels are just as unique.

And I'd be up to play some *new* UT3 if we set a night for it. I probably wouldn't play monsters, but I'd try some Warfare (or whatever the hell it's called) and I'd play some TAM.
DW_Savage wrote:Oh, I agree completely that UT3 and the editor have an incredible shelf life to keep up with future games for the next couple of years if not longer, no doubt in my mind about that. Anyone whom has looked into the guts of the UE3 will know almost immediately that its potential is almost unlimited and if you wish it did have something that it lacks well you can add it. That's what I love about it but at his point their isn't much you would want that it doesn't have, specular notation, Normals, but I do wish it had metallic but I believe it does, it just calls it something else because I was able to mimic metallic by using some sort of masks so whatever you would want to do can be done by a little ingenuity and creativity. Their is another thing that I can't seem to figure out and that is character morph targets. They got Vehicle morph targets but no character morph target... Huh? Wha... Wha... What? O' well, as I always say, "If their is a will, their is a way."

I'm personally waiting for "Bioshock 2" which also uses the Unreal Engine 3.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIopXUPVGFE[/youtube]
Savage
DW Clan Member

Sweet, I'm up for any type of gameplay as long as people get to see that Death Warrant has gone UT3 it should attract new players to explore the server and even bring UT3 players to check out our other servers including 2k4. I'm sure the server can be converted to different gametypes because we have done it before and played some onslought and deathmatch. Any publicity is good publicity.

I bought one of the new gaming magazine when I saw Big Daddy from Bioshock 2 on the cover. It covered the game pretty well and had a few good photos of the multiplayer game play and I got a feeling it is going to be awesome!

I actually plan to invest in a server and colocation and providing a place for us to play some multiplayer Bioshock 2. I may if throw a couple different gametypes of UT3 on there as well but that will be much later this fall or perhaps winter but before X-mas.

The server I have my eye on is here:
http://www.sun.com/servers/x64/x4150/index.xml
I know many will say it is over kill but better over than under and it will be used for more than just gaming.
DW_Mobius
DW Clan Member
Xfire: redeemermma

*cough*CoD:MW2*cough*
Savage
DW Clan Member

LOL, and we can't forget about that. I haven't personally looked into it yet myself, I am still trying to get my hands on the first one. Now that you remind me, I will go pick up a copy today. Anybody have an idea of how much it should cost?
DW_BrainPan
DW Clan Member

DW_Savage wrote:LOL, and we can't forget about that. I haven't personally looked into it yet myself, I am still trying to get my hands on the first one. Now that you remind me, I will go pick up a copy today. Anybody have an idea of how much it should cost?
It's been around 38 bucks for as long as I can remember, but maybe you can find a sale somewhere.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who read binary, and everyone else.
4013 is only a FAD
And 2989? Well that's just BAD
DW_Fry
DW Clan Member

I know I already posted these shots in another thread, but...

You can't look at those pics of Kitchen and not notice that UT3 is UT2004 with UT3 Graphics!! This is what a direct port of a UT2004 map looks like. Contrast with Campgrounds, which is remade using UT3 technology, but basically the same map (Same BSP).

This video shows how similar they actually look: http://www.builderbrush.com/images/KitchenGlitch.mpg [BBvideo 425,350]http://www.builderbrush.com/images/KitchenGlitch.mpg[/BBvideo]
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
(Under Team Deathmatch)
Savage
DW Clan Member

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.builderbrush.com/images/KitchenGlitch.mpg[/BBvideo]

Yea, those maps look alike but the advantages of UE3s Material editor cannot be mimic in 2k4, but it looks great. I did notice the monsters in 2k4 are bigger and seem more exciting but now with the new monsters we are adding, it is awesome. I got an idea, we will make UT4 ourselves with UE3?