Unreal Tournament 4

Talk about anything gaming related which is not covered by our game specific forums (i.e. new games coming out, gaming hardware, server suggestions, etc.)
Savage
DW Clan Member
Xfire: savagedogg38

Unreal Engine 4

"Mark Rein, the vice-president of Epic Games, revealed on August 18, 2005 that Unreal Engine 4 had been in development over the past two years.[25] The engine targets the next generation of PC hardware and consoles after the seventh generation. The only person to work on the Unreal Engine 4 core system design so far is Tim Sweeney, technical director and founder of Epic games.[26] However, at the 2006 GDC, Tim Sweeney stated that development will not begin in earnest on the next version until some time in 2008. Sweeney has also predicted that the number of developers would be ramped up to three or four engineers by the end of 2008, and would be aimed predominantly at the next generation consoles rather than PCs.[27] Tim gave a speech at POPL06 sharing some of his thoughts on programming.[28] However, it was later confirmed by Mark Rein, the vice president of Epic Games that Unreal Engine 4 was coming to PC. Mark Rein also clarified what Tim Sweeney meant. "When Tim Sweeney was talking about Unreal Engine 4 ... he mentioned something along the lines of it being exclusively for the next generation of consoles… what he meant was, it won't run on this generation of consoles." Due to the engine's focus on next generation consoles, Michael Capps, President of Epic Games, indicated that the engine should be ready between 2012 and 2018"

... Looks like we gotta long wait...
Skyline
1337 Haxor
Xfire: 40shards

More than that... TBH I'd be surprised to see Epic making a completely-arena-style Unreal Tournament during the next decade anyway, since however fun it is, the gameplay's already pretty outdated. They didn't mention shelving the whole Unreal franchise though, and I sure wouldn't mind a new singleplayer Unreal :)
Last edited by Skyline on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Savage
DW Clan Member

Nah, they just took the words out of context. Anyway, 2012 to 2018 is a couple years. They wont toss the arena type game play, I can almost guarantee that.
Jon!
1337 Haxor
Xfire: jonk27

they wouldn't scrap instant action/multiplayer. That would be stupid. Period.
DW_Fry
DW Clan Member

DW_Savage wrote:... Looks like we gotta long wait...
Shouldn't really matter. The Unreal Engine 3 has so much potential yet to be tapped into.

Good luck convincing the sheeple of that. Nobody wants to like a game their peers don't like.

Each of the several people who were pretty much against UT3 but willing to check it out again, after spending a half hour or so answering their questions (complaints), and explaining why things are the way they are, have said, "Hey, this is pretty fun!"

Maybe if they did what they did with 2k4 (aka 2k3 with a patch) they might have more success. It's not enough to give the people what they want, you've also got to trick them into letting themselves enjoy it.
(Under Team Deathmatch)
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

Fry has it dead on with the potential of the UE3. More and more studios like Epic are focusing on the consoles and just licensing their engines to other developers to create their games. UT3 aside, UE3 rocks.

As far as another version, what's wrong with UT2004? I just played Medal of Honor Allied Assault all day yesterday and today and there were servers with 35/40 people. That game came out in '02. Hell look at the original Counter-Strike. If a game is good communities will last.

If you want to send a message to a developer, then play the old game. After the MoH series forced out the guys that made Allied Assault (who went on to form Infinity Ward) I switched from MoH to CoD. Look how good they have gotten with Modern Warfare. The key is to support the developers that care about their PC games. If you don't like what Epic is doing (which is basically getting a rub rub from Microsoft for GoW) then don't wait around for their new stuff. Although with UE3 you won't be able to avoid them altogether.

I can tell you right now I'm looking forward to the next Red Orchestra. It's based on UE3, and actually has area damage detection. That means if you snipe someone's hand, they lose a finger or two and cant fire a rifle with that hand, and actually will have to switch hands to a pistol, at which point a "non-dominant" hand variable will come into play with the accuracy. If that isn't exciting I don't know what is :compress:
Cheers, Damnidge
Savage
DW Clan Member

Oh, I agree completely that UT3 and the editor have an incredible shelf life to keep up with future games for the next couple of years if not longer, no doubt in my mind about that. Anyone whom has looked into the guts of the UE3 will know almost immediately that its potential is almost unlimited and if you wish it did have something that it lacks well you can add it. That's what I love about it but at his point their isn't much you would want that it doesn't have, specular notation, Normals, but I do wish it had metallic but I believe it does, it just calls it something else because I was able to mimic metallic by using some sort of masks so whatever you would want to do can be done by a little ingenuity and creativity. Their is another thing that I can't seem to figure out and that is character morph targets. They got Vehicle morph targets but no character morph target... Huh? Wha... Wha... What? O' well, as I always say, "If their is a will, their is a way."

I'm personally waiting for "Bioshock 2" which also uses the Unreal Engine 3.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIopXUPVGFE[/youtube]
DW_Fry
DW Clan Member

Nothing /wrong/ with UT2004 whatsoever... I LOVE that game for quite a few reasons, and have no intention of playing it any less than I have time for... which just happens to be much more limited lately than it used to be.

In fact, the main gripe I hear from people, and probably the only one if not one of very few that I agree with, is that it'd be great to have UT2004, but with UT3 graphics.

Well my friends, I'm pretty sure that UT3 is as close as we're going to see anytime soon, if ever. I also think that we'll get the best gameplay possible when mappers concentrate on making crazy ideas work, instead of cutting back on what they put in the map due to limitations of the game engine.

I see what you're saying about sending a message by playing the old game to show them we prefer a more PC-oriented game, unfortunately it also sends the message that there aren't enough PC gamers interested to even bother releasing the next version for PC.

I don't think people need to "switch", or anything like that, I just see it for the most part as another Invasion server with a different set of maps.
(Under Team Deathmatch)
DW_Fry
DW Clan Member

Maybe that's part of the problem... I REALLY don't want it to be a UT3 or UT2004 only type of deal. I don't mean to bash on 2k4 at all, I'm just really excited about the potential of UT3.

When I play, I usually go where the DWs are, whatever game it is.
(Under Team Deathmatch)
Savage
DW Clan Member

DW_Fry wrote:In fact, the main gripe I hear from people, and probably the only one if not one of very few that I agree with, is that it'd be great to have UT2004, but with UT3 graphics.
Actually unless I have completely lost my mind, I'm pretty sure that is exactly what UT3 is, UT2004 with UT3 graphics. An obvious observation in my opinion. UE3 is the UT2k4 engine, it really is, with upgrades like a widget, kizmet, materials and nodes. People see the "upgrades" as "changes" if not "unnecessary changes" but they are necessary for improvement. They say "Why not keep it 2k4 with UT3 graphics?" Well to get those graphics you must make those changes with the exception of the widget which was put in place to increase productivity and also for graphic artists to adapt better and feel more comfortable with the familiarity of the widget. Everything I see in UT3 is 2k4 just with the necessary improvements.

DW_Fry wrote:I see what you're saying about sending a message by playing the old game to show them we prefer a more PC-oriented game, unfortunately it also sends the message that there aren't enough PC gamers interested to even bother releasing the next version for PC.
True, and I would like to add that this whole "PC-oriented thing", I think is retarded. If a game was made for PC it is PC-oriented. Period. Just because they include tools to make mods for the console games as well just means they thought of everybody. Instead of complaining, say "thank you Epic, for thinking of everybody." I for one love the idea, now I can design for PC as well as some of my console buddies.
DW_Fry wrote:I don't think people need to "switch", or anything like that, I just see it for the most part as another Invasion server with a different set of maps.
Agreed also. Do MM1 guys complain when you play MM2? Nope, and nobody says that dumb crap when you decide to play onslaught or even a completely different game like TF2 or anything else for that matter and nobody should think of this as such or as a competition in anyway. We are all here to have fun and play games for goodness sake. Although, from what I gather, it seems as if some people are, for lack of a better word, "afraid" to invite the future and take the first step in fear of ridicule and mostly due to people wishing to "fit in". Please, don't let a popularity contest hold back your potential. Personally I think it is all very silly and a bit childish. I also think some modders and mappers are intimidated by the technology and maybe even overwhelmed by it and just don't know where to start and a lot of guys just don't have PCs that can hack it. I can understand that but for those wanting to pursue a career in gaming, I would strongly encourage them to upgrade because rather or not anyone ever play UT3 again, it is a great editor and platform to learn the new technologies available for gaming. UT3 is one of the few games that allow you to mod and give you the tools to do it and most importantly, UE3 is the best tool I have ever seem with the exception of one... Blender. Sorry, had to add that.

I discuss having a UT3 day once a month earlier and got no response. I have spoken to several people whom say if more DW members played, they would to. So what do you say?