Gaming headset recommendations

Talk about anything gaming related which is not covered by our game specific forums (i.e. new games coming out, gaming hardware, server suggestions, etc.)
DW_Snaggle
DW Clan Member

My ancient Logitech 'behind the head' headset is finally failing. So it's time to replace it with something...better. Unfortunately a 7.1 speaker uber-surround sound setup is out of the question (concurrent spousal gaming :cheers: and 'early to bed' neighbors :tard: ) hence I'll need a headset of some sort.

So, I'm open to suggestions. I have a recent soundcard (X-Fi card of some sort) thus anything that adds another card (explicitly or implicitly) like a USB setup isn't of much help.

I've seen good reports for the SteelSeries 5H v2 & the Razer stuff.

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Snaggle.
Savage
DW Clan Member
Xfire: savagedogg38

I use Logitechs notebook headset. It works well.
DW_Damaged
DW Clan Member

I use Logitech USB headset with mic. Works Great!!!
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

This one is all mine, Mine!!

Logitech Extreme 3.5mm Supra-aural PC Gaming Headset

Excellent price here, too!
I had this since the end of Winter Break.

Only two downfalls:
  • It does get uncomfortable if you wear it for several hours without long hair or glasses.
  • Keep the twist tie for the wire. The wire is very long and keeping it in a bundle does prevent knots and a scrambled mess.
[/color]
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Xfire: KarmaKat

I like my lightweight headset from Plantronics. It's foldable for taking to LAN gigs, light enough to not hurt your head or ears after all nighters. Adjustable mic boom and excellent sound quality. Deals can be had...last time I found 'em on sale for around $28. Don't be fooled by the USB in the name...they're dual connecting headphones, but the mini plugs come first and they include a USB adapter (which I promptly tossed in a drawer and haven't seen since! :D )

.Audio 470 USB Headset

http://www.plantronics.com/north_americ ... io-470-usb
audio470usb.jpg
audio470usb.jpg (49.17 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
KKat :flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
Savage
DW Clan Member

Oh wow, that does look nice.
Savage
DW Clan Member

I personally would love to have these from Steel Series because I hate having things on my head. Behind the head isn't bad but still... The less gear I got weighing down my skull the better, hard to concentrate on killing people with cords and plastic wrapped around your head and neck.
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... lantronics

This is the little gem I use, like Savage said I prefer not to have things on my head. The only grip about this one is the wires are a little short so if your pc is more than 2 feet away your going to need extensions. Like Karma stated this baby also has a carry case and a usb connection which also got tossed by me in favor of the standard 2 wire.

No shame, no dishonor, will run away to fight another day!
ACY
DW_KarmaKat
Site Admin
Xfire: KarmaKat

DW_Savage wrote:I personally would love to have these from Steel Series because I hate having things on my head. Behind the head isn't bad but still... The less gear I got weighing down my skull the better, hard to concentrate on killing people with cords and plastic wrapped around your head and neck.
And I can't stand stuff stuck in my ears!! LOL!!! Guess my ears are shaped a little differently than most...had custom molds made for IFBs back when I was regularly working audio gigs...tolerable then...but at around $100-125 a pop, expensive.

I've read the Siberia specs...respectable response, though I like a bit more bass..they're quite good on the high end freqs. Looks like a very nice set of earbuds. :)

KKat
:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
Savage
DW Clan Member

I never liked having things in my ear neither for a long time but after working most of my life in the construction trades with welders and inpact hammers and heavy equipment with diesel motors everywhere, we had to use plugs or go deaf. I chose plugs. Now they don't bother me at all. Got use to them after wearing them 8 to 12 hours a day. Almost like nothing is there actually. The ones like you see here are nice plugs, the way they have them three cup like pieces of rubber that fit into the ear, I forget what they call them. I remember using those kind at work and they are the best as far as comfort is concerned and more expensive but well worth the price to be more comfortable at work. These days those little plugs got some bump.