if there were no such thing as violent video games...

Talk about anything gaming related which is not covered by our game specific forums (i.e. new games coming out, gaming hardware, server suggestions, etc.)
DW_Fry
DW Clan Member

"I feel confident that if there were no such thing as violent video games, I wouldn't know Daniel Petric," said the judge.

So-called 'Halo killer' gets 23 to life

I call BS. I've had weeklong bouts with insomnia where I've played violent video games 22+ hr/day (pssh, 18hr days), and amongst all the other thoughts and sensations in my head, never once did the line blur between fragging newbs and the tenuous grip we all hold on this thing called life.

Blah blah Nature vs. Nurture... blah blah some crotchety fart at one point thought violent books were the problem...

Guess what... did banning violent books stop all murders? Doesn't matter, 'cause as long as I live in a country where I'm barely free enough to enjoy the type of ENTERTAINMENT and FICTION that I damn well please... I will do so.

Sorry if I'm a bit worked up over the topic... but it is our freedom we're talking about. That is what they told us this country was about when we were all in grade school, right? Freedom?

"I do not think that word means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya

Let's see... Halo 3 sold 2.4 million copies on the first day, one player ended up a killer... doesn't sound unrealistically deviant from the general population to me. Yet we have judges... the people that make up our government and have the power to curtail our "freedom", with attitudes like this.

Great.
Last edited by DW_Fry on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Under Team Deathmatch)
Tazcrosblade_
1337 Haxor

sigh, its... i...... so much to say, so little willpower to argue with these types of people.

he was addicted to the game, yes, and he did kill his parents because they wouldnt let him play the game, but how this means that the game is to blame escapes me. if he had been addicted to any other game, pokemon, tetris, bejewled, they wouldnt even mention it. hell if he wasaddicted to drugs, and someone took them away from him, he probably would have had the same reaction.

its not like he killed them in a way remnicent of halo, he just did. all the lawyer is trying to do is get an insanity plea using the scapegoat of everything... violent video games.

ive lived my whole life with shooters, from watching my dad play doom, all the way up to call of duty now, and like the millions of other people, im no more violent than someone who wasnt exposed to them.

this point has been argued down into dust, violent video games are little more than a convienient thing to blame. im not even going to bring up the "its just a game" argument, because even if it was the most realistic, gory shooter ever created, only someone who was completely insane would be affected by it.

To quote yahtzee
"such as when youthful paragons of self-control are called nasty names, and decide that murder would be the wittiest comeback, and then is found to have stood next to a video game at some point in the past. Then the media generally start drooling the usual uninformed questions as to whether wholesome boyish pretend violence has any correlation with the real world. Short answer: No. Long answer: No, and go fuck yourselves, you ignorant scare-mongering cockbags. Pressing buttons to shoot guns in, say, Soldier of Fortune, is about as far removed from the workings of actual guns as my arse is from the dark side of Europa"
Its Pronounced Taz-Cross-Blade, not Tazer-Blade, not Taz-Crows-Blade, not Taco-Blade, Taz-Cross-Blade
Thwart
1337 Haxor

The reply that AfricanTreePig made on that site is absolutely hilarious!

"did he teabag before fleeing the scene?"
Posted Jul 27, 2009 9:47 am PT
"To be positive: to be mistaken at the top of one's voice." -Ambrose Bierce
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

Thwart wrote:The reply that[highlight=#FFFF00]AfricanTreePig[/highlight] made on that site is absolutely hilarious!

"did he teabag before fleeing the scene?"
Posted Jul 27, 2009 9:47 am PT
Why would anyone in there right mind say something like this???? Not to mention with a name like that as a I could not take that quote as being serious and has no place in the discussion.

No shame, no dishonor, will run away to fight another day!
ACY
Savage
DW Clan Member
Xfire: savagedogg38

being diagnosed years ago as a malignant narcissist, I can honestly say if it wasn't for violent video games satisfying my urge to rip someones guts out through their mouth, I would have easily become a psychopathic serial killer in my adoliscence at some point and turned my high school into the demented scenes of Silent Hill. So I say to that judge,"consider yourself lucky their is a way for people like me to vent through violent video games because a second longer playing Mario Cart and I'm liable to loose my freakin' mind and go ape shit on your vital organs!"
DW_Damaged
DW Clan Member

DW_Savage wrote:being diagnosed years ago as a malignant narcissist, I can honestly say if it wasn't for violent video games satisfying my urge to rip someones guts out through their mouth, I would have easily become a psychopathic serial killer in my adoliscence at some point and turned my high school into the demented scenes of Silent Hill. So I say to that judge,"consider yourself lucky their is a way for people like me to vent through violent video games because a second longer playing Mario Cart and I'm liable to loose my freakin' mind and go ape shit on your vital organs!"

Holy Crap Savage let me know if your ever coming to FL so I can go on vacation. :thumbleft:

I've been playing violent video games for years not to mention all the movies and TV shows I've watched growing up and to this day I have a hard time killing a bug. Can't ever recall wanting to hurt someone regardless of what they said or did. But if anyone ever hurt my family well that's a different story and if they did the police better find them before I do. But I'm sure shooting an M4 in real life is a lot different than in COD4.
Savage
DW Clan Member

DW_Savage wrote:being diagnosed years ago as a malignant narcissist, I can honestly say if it wasn't for violent video games satisfying my urge to rip someones guts out through their mouth, I would have easily become a psychopathic serial killer in my adoliscence at some point and turned my high school into the demented scenes of Silent Hill. So I say to that judge,"consider yourself lucky their is a way for people like me to vent through violent video games because a second longer playing Mario Cart and I'm liable to loose my freakin' mind and go ape shit on your vital organs!"
DW_Damaged wrote:Holy Crap Savage let me know if your ever coming to FL so I can go on vacation. :thumbleft:

No worries, my shrink keeps me well medicated, LOL... I just think it is so Hypocritical for the judge and others to blame the media and other forms of entertainment for the violence of one crazy kid who was probably savagely beaten by his parents for not finishing his pancakes every morning for the past 6 years and finally they take his game and it was the last straw. Their is always more to it than what they mention on the news or in the courts. easier to blame someone else than themselves. Besides, don't they always say that a child is the parents responsability and then when their are no parents to blame because the kid freakin' killed them, well now they must blame someone else... Oh, it was the violent video games fault. I don't know about you but that just sounds freaking retarded to me! the world is violent enough, we don't need vedio games to show our young violence when we do a damn good job of it ourselves.
DW_ImAnArmyMan
DW Clan Member
Xfire: ImAnArmyMan

I can say from real life experience, killing someone with a gun in real life is nothing like in the games. Yes they try to make game like Call of Duty like the real thing but it would never be the real experience. Like i always say you will never see anyone bunnyhopping around the corner to kill me in Iraq. And the use of violent video games as an escapegoat annoys they hell out of me. So some mom is complaining about the violence in the game her kids is playing, but then again who bought the game in the first place..... In the end it always comes back to the parent and not the games. If video games do effect how people act, then why dont i just go on the interstate and dodge some cars after playing frogger. Or maybe lets blame the music as well...Hey i only killed him cuz Eminem does in his songs... or how about the movies... i just say Saw and i want to trap someone into a death trap and see if they wanna come out alive. They just wanna blame something or someone else instead of the parents.
\m/ ^___^ \m/
Savage
DW Clan Member

Yup, the parents were already dead so they had to blame someone or something. As for taking another life, I would speculate that it would depend on the psyche of a person. Some people find it easier than others by different means of detachment or just plain being screwy in the head. Most people it would eat alive as time passes and guilt builds and others find it no different than smashing a bug. Just depends on the person.

My brother for instance doesn't really think about the people he killed, he says "I looked at them through a monitor and pushed a button." or "I was ordered to." He claims if he had seen them face to face, it may be different. My friend in prison for murder on the other hand... Well he is either upset he got caught or geniunly feels bad for the family of the man he killed but knowing him like I do, he is just upset he got caught is all.

EDIT: I need my spell checker!
DW_Fry
DW Clan Member

Not to be disrespectful, but ArmyMan I keep picturing a gunman with an AK-47 jumping around a corner out into the open, like, "HA!"

Probably not an effective strategy :)
(Under Team Deathmatch)