if there were no such thing as violent video games...

Talk about anything gaming related which is not covered by our game specific forums (i.e. new games coming out, gaming hardware, server suggestions, etc.)
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

I've written several persuasive papers based on this topic. Not this specific case but the idea that violent games causes violence is a load of garbage. I can go on and on, and if yall feel like reading this shebang, then I wont hesitate to post one of my essays here.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Xfire: savagedogg38

I would like to read it, you can post it here if you like, I think it would be fitting for the topic.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

You got it! Here's a chopped up six page paper that was done back in high school...

When violent entertainment first arrived parents were concerned about their children’s social lives. They believed that sitting in front of a console would lead to a life of no friends. Surprisingly, technology improves social life. There are several examples of developed friendships in variety of ways. “Social groups form online, like a Quake player consistently plays in one server where others will recognize the alias, an active participant in a discussion board, dedicated to thoughts about a particular thought, or even a contributor to a travel site” (Torr 20). The cyberspace relieves loads of stress, especially to an organization. Usually rare occasions will unite people, but due to freedom from geographical obstructions, people can meet daily online instantly. Not only that, but whenever a meeting is missed, the members can simply go online to see what information is missed (Torr 21). The world is shared and many companies can gain a profit online. New York Times sells articles and puzzles to members (Torr 23), and game corporations like Blizzard Entertainment gain money from the online game of World of Warcraft. Modern technology not only benefit gamer’s social life but also makes things easy for other citizens.

The social life is not the only factor video games enhance. They also teach self-defense as well as education and logical thinking. Games existed over 3,000 years ago (Whitehill 12). Board games force many people to think logically, and players continuously grow smarter than their competitor. Video games taught players very effectively; they are still forms of education, moral teaching, self-defense, and exceptional form of recreation for the family (Whitehill 12). Despite all the evidence, government officials still complain how video games spoil children and make them brutal. As for aggression, video games do not teach them any physical actions, save from pushing combinations of buttons with their thumbs. If anything were to teach them violent behaviors, a motion of swinging a bat in a baseball game seems closer to violence than pressing X, square, square, and triangle. Government officials are simply afraid of the rapidly growing electronic entertainment systems. Since board games and sorts are older, they became accustomed to society and accepted by the government.

The government is simply searching for solutions to solve crime. They basically connected the growth rate with crime and games so they pointed their finger on violent entertainment. The government is simply finding a scapegoat in games, very similar in what Hitler did against Jews. “…Mein Kampf, his political autobiography and treatise on the superiority of the ‘Aryan race’ and the ‘menace’ of the Jew…” (Moreorless, 1). Germany’s fate is not pleasing to see after World War II. Others look down at them for their acts of discrimination. There is a connection between the two events, blaming games for the cause of violence will downgrade America’s appearance. Although games have no feelings or any form of life, the gamers and millions of players will be affected as well as leaving hundreds of corporations out of business, pushing programmers and designers into the streets, unemployed. Since the banning of video games is designed to reduce crime and stress, these attempts are wasteful; the purpose of video games is to entertain and to relieve stress. Players play games to unleash their fury by killing imaginary enemies and monsters. About.com made several titles to their articles in how many ways video games can reduce stress: Non-addictive online games for stress relief, fun and the importance of play, stress relievers, learning to draw, iPod fun, free suduku puzzles, CR puzzles, iFiction, and Music to relieve stress (About.com, 1). Killing fictional monsters in an imaginary world relieves stress, instead of relieving stress or killing people in the real world.

It is true how some content is too graphic for children, but it is the parents’ responsibility and discretion in what their kids can do. It is not the government’s position to interfere and control children. Parents not familiar with games can be easily familiar with the rating system posted on every single legal game cover. “The ESRB, short for Entertainment Software Rating Board, is an industry organization that has developed a rating system for computer, internet, and video games” (Media Awareness Network, 1). They simply developed a suggestive age appropriateness to help out lost parents. Yet it does not even stop there. “The ARC, Advertising Review Council, designed a list of principles and guidelines to ensure responsible advertising practices by the video-game industry. ARC is also responsible for responding to concerns or complaints raided by consumers regarding the marketing of video games” (Media Awareness Network, 1). It cannot be any easier than ESRB. Parent can make one simple phone call to understand the rating system and take control of their kids, not the government.

Say if the government clogged their ears, and banned video games anyway. They expect positive results? “Today people have more leisure time and more ways to fill that time” (Whitehill 22). Banning their primary hobby will create too much free time. They are not going to read books or complete crossword puzzles all day. Most likely, they will sit on the couch, starring at their blank television set. Eventually they will find ideas to amuse themselves, stupid ideas. They may quickly find dangerous pointless stunts to do, and risk getting in trouble with the law or even try drugs. “Samuel’s study found boredom and curiosity were the most common causes of drug use” (Kanevsky, 2). The vision of a peaceful America is demolished after seeing just the opposite in what they wanted.

With millions of angry gamers and thousands of unemployed people, a rebellion of some sort is eminent. Now that the treasure is already taken from them, these people have little or nothing more to lose; they no longer need to support a government that steal from them. In fact, they can easily become hostile. This legislation’s failure is similar to the Prohibition amendment that lived from 1920 to 1933. The policy failed due to the amount of resistance, where in New York City itself, there were over 32,000 concealed speakeasies (Lerner, 1). It is certain that people today will do the same. They will eventually find their ways to play games in hidden rooms for the sake to be entertained.

Boredom forces people to go to great lengths. People are willing to violate laws to have fun. People are willing to risk their reputation to have fun. People are willing to pay illegal corporations or gangs – just to have fun. Someone will have to run the underground stations, and gangs or some sort of organized crime will take the opportunity to make money. This is how the Mafia grew into power. “Prohibition changed all these gangs from street thugs to executives. The money was big enough where they could expand, and when Prohibition ended, they had big organizations to go into different things like labor racketeering” (Raab, 1). With more facets coming into play, enforcing this ban will be trickier and still pointless.

This foreshadowing is clear and obvious: banning video games will defeat the purpose of the legislation. When government says that violent entertainment is a tool of destruction, gamers will unite with a controller in their fists shouting, “We call it our freedom!”

FFE466

I have only read the first couple of paragraphs but I'll read the rest later. I think parents are afraid that their children aren't learning to interact with others when online because they can't physically see the person and I can feel their pain because having a daughter whom is online a lot, i fear that she may be talking to some sicko 50 year old perv. So, I understand but at the same time, their is no need to blame a video game for that. i also have one question for ya Ant, how does online entertainment and video games prepare one for conflict by teaching them self defence? Just curious, i just don't see that one. I see too many kids getting fat and lazy at the computer desk and honestly think if they found themselves in a dark alley with a thug who has never owned a Nintendo, he most likely will not be able to put up much of a fight.
Last edited by Savage on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savage
DW Clan Member

DW_Ant wrote:Say if the government clogged their ears, and banned video games anyway. They expect positive results? “Today people have more leisure time and more ways to fill that time” (Whitehill 22). Banning their primary hobby will create too much free time. They are not going to read books or complete crossword puzzles all day. Most likely, they will sit on the couch, starring at their blank television set. Eventually they will find ideas to amuse themselves, stupid ideas. They may quickly find dangerous pointless stunts to do, and risk getting in trouble with the law or even try drugs. “Samuel’s study found boredom and curiosity were the most common causes of drug use” (Kanevsky, 2). The vision of a peaceful America is demolished after seeing just the opposite in what they wanted.

With millions of angry gamers and thousands of unemployed people, a rebellion of some sort is eminent. Now that the treasure is already taken from them, these people have little or nothing more to lose; they no longer need to support a government that steal from them. In fact, they can easily become hostile. This legislation’s failure is similar to the Prohibition amendment that lived from 1920 to 1933. The policy failed due to the amount of resistance, where in New York City itself, there were over 32,000 concealed speakeasies (Lerner, 1). It is certain that people today will do the same. They will eventually find their ways to play games in hidden rooms for the sake to be entertained.

Boredom forces people to go to great lengths. People are willing to violate laws to have fun. People are willing to risk their reputation to have fun. People are willing to pay illegal corporations or gangs – just to have fun. Someone will have to run the underground stations, and gangs or some sort of organized crime will take the opportunity to make money. This is how the Mafia grew into power. “Prohibition changed all these gangs from street thugs to executives. The money was big enough where they could expand, and when Prohibition ended, they had big organizations to go into different things like labor racketeering” (Raab, 1). With more facets coming into play, enforcing this ban will be trickier and still pointless.

This foreshadowing is clear and obvious: banning video games will defeat the purpose of the legislation. When government says that violent entertainment is a tool of destruction, gamers will unite with a controller in their fists shouting, “We call it our freedom!”[/color]

I completely agree with that part. I can see it now, a bunch of fat kids with twinkees in hand with blue and white face paint screaming "Freedom!" I'm sorry, i had to say it. I am a fatty too. 250lbs as a matter of fact.
Savage
DW Clan Member

DW_ImAnArmyMan wrote: i just seen Saw and now i want to trap someone into a death trap and see if they wanna come out alive.
I wanted to do that once but my father just wouldn't cooperate.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

DW_Savage wrote:i also have one question for ya Ant, how does online entertainment and video games prepare one for conflict by teaching them self defence? Just curious, i just don't see that one. I see too many kids getting fat and lazy at the computer desk and honestly think if they found themselves in a dark alley with a thug who has never owned a Nintendo, he most likely will not be able to put up much of a fight.
lol, but it varies in what games you play. I mean I'm sure Mortal Kombat will at least teach people in what a fight should look like (excluding the swords and fatalities).
If they see an incoming punch, they'll either block or reverse and intimidate in what they see in the games (of course it's always better to take a Martial Arts class).

Intense competitive gaming does increase reflexes and awareness of their surroundings. If they see someone shooting up a rampage down the street, by habit they (victims) should take cover.

Also RTS (Real Time Strategy) teaches strategy when it comes to plan development. Maybe it doesn't help the self defense side, but it definitly improves logical thinking.
  • Get the higher ground.
  • Cut off their reinforcements.
  • Communicate with your team.
It just helps in many different ways indirectly ;)[/color]

FFE466

I see. So basicly you are saying if we all had AKs and walky talky's and we were all hanging out together at the time, we could take some thugs out no problem? One problem I see with that though, I'm pretty sure the thugs would have easier access to AKs before we would and I don't see myself strolling through the park with an M-16 strapped to me; However, all joking aside, I see where you are coming from. After playing video games that simulate war, one would now how to go to higher ground and stay hidden, coordinate attacks and use fire lanes and swipping corners, and maybe even know how to hold a gun properly... Maybe. Now they would have to know how to lock and load a weapon, switching fire rates, and clear a jam because unlike in the games, full automatics jam constantly, and lets not forget the safety. combat tactics, i totally see your point there but even then so much of it is physical and doing it over and over until it becomes second nature. As for fighting, nah, if some kid that finished playing mortal combat got in my face saying "finish him" I think I would have to kick his ass extra severely but maybe someone playing UFC might learn a thing or two but I still wouldn't be worried. I have taken martial arts and it is about repetition to make it become almost like reflexes and not thinking about it, and when it comes to fighting, practice makes perfect. Someone whom has never physically got into a fight but played many hours or days of UFC would freak out in a real fight and if you freak out, your heart rate goes up, your fight or flight instict kicks in because you're not sure if you will live through it and you're scared. Someone who practices martial arts and fights all the time will be calm and collected and not tire as easily. While the first fellow is thinking of what to do next, the fighter has already done it. In short, I disagree with that part but the essay in whole is really good and I agree with the majority.