need some help.

Talk about anything gaming related which is not covered by our game specific forums (i.e. new games coming out, gaming hardware, server suggestions, etc.)
viking*
Killer in Training
Xfire: pkviking

I'm trying to reinstall left4dead on windows 7 and i have the disc that i bought in store.

however, when i go to install, steam initiates a download of the game instead of actually installing the damn thing. this did not happen when i installed the game a long time ago on xp.
(this is not a windows 7 problem)
i searched on forums and found people with similar problems and not one thread had any solutions. the only responses to the threads were by jackoffs who say we should just download the game because we dont know how to use a computer.

i love those people.

so, i was wondering if anyone of you have had a similar problem and have fixed it.

steam simply says that the servers are busy and to try again later, then initiates a download that never starts..... even though I have the disc LOL

ps:
I EFFING LOVE STEAM! :bounce:

edit: yes, i have opened the disc up and opened the setup, the same thing happens.
edit: steam is now downloading the game.. however, if anyone knows the solution to this utterly retarded problem, id greatly appreciate it.
if this problem is not fixable, then i say steam needs to develop a new way of blocking pirates from playing games, i bought the dvd, so there is no reason that i should have to download the game.
Metaphor for a missing moment, pull me into your perfect circle.
Tazcrosblade_
1337 Haxor

well the steam servers were down for maintinence a few days ago so that might have been your problem

oh wait, i just reread your post, thats what steam does, it downloads the game, then it installs it. the disk doesnt really do anything besides hold the cd key. the reason no1 responed on the other forums is that its not a problem, its a feature.
Its Pronounced Taz-Cross-Blade, not Tazer-Blade, not Taz-Crows-Blade, not Taco-Blade, Taz-Cross-Blade
DW_Mobius
DW Clan Member
Xfire: redeemermma

I don't need to do anything at all for steam to me the finger.
viking*
Killer in Training

Tazcrosblade_ wrote:well the steam servers were down for maintinence a few days ago so that might have been your problem

oh wait, i just reread your post, thats what steam does, it downloads the game, then it installs it. the disk doesnt really do anything besides hold the cd key. the reason no1 responed on the other forums is that its not a problem, its a feature.
this does not make sense, because for every other game, i actually installed the game.

edit:
if this is true, then why is there 6gigs worth of game on my disc?
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

I bought the physical disc and I still had to download the game from Steam to install it. Took me like 6 hours (not to mention waiting for the actual disc to arrive). Longest install ever, and probably my biggest complaint with Steam itself, since many times when I tried to install it the servers were "too busy." Instant fail when you pay for a game and their service is unable to give you the product you bought.
Tazcrosblade_
1337 Haxor

you are telling me that you have never had to download a steam game before installing? i question that
Its Pronounced Taz-Cross-Blade, not Tazer-Blade, not Taz-Crows-Blade, not Taco-Blade, Taz-Cross-Blade
viking*
Killer in Training

that is exactly what i am telling you.

l4d, the first time i installed it, i did not have to download.

half life 2, i did not have to download.
dawn of war 2
css

the list goes on and on.
i installed from disc, never had to dl anything except updates.

and when i reinstalled dow2 on windows 7 not even a week ago, i didnt have to dl it either.
viking*
Killer in Training

WailofSuicide wrote:I bought the physical disc and I still had to download the game from Steam to install it. Took me like 6 hours (not to mention waiting for the actual disc to arrive). Longest install ever, and probably my biggest complaint with Steam itself, since many times when I tried to install it the servers were "too busy." Instant fail when you pay for a game and their service is unable to give you the product you bought.

i agree with you, if i have to download another game i have on disc, im going to make steam pay for the gas i used to drive to best buy lol.
Savage
DW Clan Member
Xfire: savagedogg38

I bought TF2 with the game on disc but it gave me the option to use the game on disc or download the steam version of the game. The game on disc is if you wanna play on a LAN with friends but it won't play online via steam so I opted to Download because I plan to play online. So, just download it unless you plan to never play it.

I'm not trying to be an ass but that is just the way steam is, I perticularly don't like it but I must live with it I guess if I wanna play TF2.
viking*
Killer in Training

that is so weird because up until now, I have not had to download any games. i simply installed from disc and I was able to play online. of course you have to update through steam with patches and what not but those only took about 5 minutes at most, not the typical half hour to an hour it takes to download the whole game, depending on your dl speed.

must spam thrusting bananas. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

wtb thrusting tacos.