Turning the ultimate 80s gaming machine into a synthesizer

Talk about anything gaming related which is not covered by our game specific forums (i.e. new games coming out, gaming hardware, server suggestions, etc.)
DW_Fry
DW Clan Member

I'll be soldering together a SID2SID to add a second SID sound chip, allowing either stereo sound or 6 simultaneous voices instead of 3. That setup works with the MSSIAH sequencer/synth emulator cartridge I ordered, which also has a MIDI input jack on the top of it.

As you can see in this picture, I'm also adding 2 knobs to control the volume of each SID independently, plus 4 knobs to control assignable synth paramaters. These are soldered directly into the keyboard input on the motherboard, so there won't be any kludgey wires dangling around. 2 1/4" output jacks and an RCA composite video out jacked into the monitor output will be next, possibly followed by vacuum tube preamps. At some point I'll mount a 7" LCD TV to the case, so it'll have a built-in display.

Of course, it plays Commodore games, too :)
(Under Team Deathmatch)
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin
Xfire: bomzin

Looks like a project. BTW . Nothing wrong with dangly wires. :smmm:
DW_Fry
DW Clan Member

Not if it's going to stay at home... but I plan on taking it to shows.
(Under Team Deathmatch)
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin
Xfire: bomzin

Ok more picts when you have something more then knoby's. :thumbright:

If there is anything to see maybe a plexi bottom. :scool:
DW_Damaged
DW Clan Member

Looks like you put a lot of thought into this Fry. :thumbright:

I want to hook up the riding lawn mower engine to the washing machine to see if I can cut the wash cycle in half. Was wondering if you could help me out. :sbigsmile: