Ventrilo issue

Talk about anything gaming related which is not covered by our game specific forums (i.e. new games coming out, gaming hardware, server suggestions, etc.)
Habulin
Camper

I am using the wifi of the studens dorm. It is logical that the wifi should be clearly used only for learning and not for gaming, meaning most of the ports are closed/blocked. The ventrilo server port 19274 is blocked aswell. I do not feel like being on ventrilo and using it to talk to people should be counted as gaming so I will try to contact the network admin to maybe open it up for me, but is there actualy any other way to connect to the server without having the port opened up? I am sad about the fact that the ports for MM and ME actually even the ut master server is not avaiable :( means no :shock: :plasma: :snipe: :bio: :enforcer: :pancake: for me :(.
Anyway have fun with playing without me :P

LP Habulin
necro
Killer in Training

It's odd that the admin's have blocked ports as high as that, chances are they are using some sort of layer 7 filtering, stopping any traffic that *looks* like traffic they have designated as blocked.

Blocking port 7777 is one thing, change the port and you're working again, but block traffic that looks like UT2004, and you're hosed no matter what you do.

One way around it would be to tunnel all your traffic through a secured VPN connection. While they can of course block that if they wanted, it's much less likely to be the case. However, gaming through a vpn would not be ideal by any stretch. Vent should be okay, though I've never tried.

At the end of the day, you're on *their* network, you get to use it as per their rules, and there's not a whole lot that can be done (assuming competent sysadmins).
Habulin
Camper

Well I don't intend to use the internet for gaming, I just want to be able to speak with you guys, and I doubt that everyone of you has skype and are willing to be on skype and ventrilo the same time. Anyway tnx for your efford. But I have the feeling that having a private network while we get a free one in the dorm isn't going to be a choice fr me due to my mother probably going rampage about it. Can't wait for the weekends to play with you :P .

LP Habulin
DW_Mobius
DW Clan Member
Xfire: redeemermma

I've heard of colleges etc. requiring a VPN type connection to use with their networking. Unfortunately this is unlikely to work with anything most clans run....

VPN is extremely secure, will require quite a beefy router(/passthrough) for hashing/encryption and in the end you'll only get a laggy connection to the servers.

Good luck. IF you get a good/secure connection, please share any (non-private) connection settings that we can provide anyone in you situation.
Habulin
Camper

I will be honest, I am probably not going to go for it and play only on the weekends because, as you already said, the connection is going to be unstable... but IF I do get a VPN connection, I will gladly share ALL the settings information, but ofc. not the password ;P :D. I'd be happy to help anyone with any problem they have, it's just that I do not know a lot about computers (the advanced stuff) as I am only in the second year and we are now learning programming. It's gona be a looong way before I could provide any real help in sense of computing. Until then I will try my best to reserch any problem that apears on the forum as it's probably going to test and train my knowledge aswell. Anyway tnx for the help again.

LP Habulin