Tank aim off?

Talk about anything UT2004 related
Kraken
Killer in Training

Is it my imagination or is the tank aiming off a bit?

In several maps this morning it seemed the aiming was not consistent (especially at long distance).

I was shooting with the turret at a 90 and 180 degree angle with the same result (as well as just straight down the front).

Has anyone else experienced this?

TIA!

:glasses7:
Jackal
Killer in Training

Off...way off. It's that patch 3369. Damn thing did something to the tanks aiming and splash damage radius. They need to come out with a patch to fix the patch...haha.
Namu
1337 Haxor

what i have experienced lately is that it will not shoot where my cursor is aiming, and I could have the tank sitting still and have the shot aimed for a good second and it will shoot about 15 degrees to the left or right....

Who knows what this may be...
Namu
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin
Xfire: bomzin

I always find it worse when the tank is on a hill or even slight angle. Try staying on the flats boys. Better yet if you can't aim the thing hope on out and I'll take over. :blackeye:
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

There are some annoying errors (in my experience) with the visible turret not being updated correctly to indicate the game's status. I find this is most often a problem when I'm attacking a tank and I tend to get shot even though, on my screen, the tank's turret is visibly pointing 15-45 degrees away from me.

Also, this is an unrelated note but the tank does fire in a very tight cone, rather than a line, so a bit of inaccuracy in long range shots is normal.
kaeolian
1337 Haxor

I always thought there was a certain % of error allowed since the patch so that the tanks werent totaly accurate ? Maby im wrong but as wailofsuicide said i thought that the cone that a tank shell will fire in had been enlarged slightly ???
Aih PittaH TeH F00l !!!1!11

Purity_the_Kitty
1337 Haxor

Tanks always had a slight deviation percentage; the last patch made it bigger. Get used to it, it's here to stay - what I DON'T like, is the issue with the Hellbender rear turret that causes it to sometimes get misaligned. They haven't fixed it yet and probably CAN'T, but...can anyone tell me how to at least alleviate the pain of aiming straight at a guy's face and having those stupid beams land beside him?
Kraken
Killer in Training

I think Jackal and Purity are dead on (pardon the pun) with the tank aim becoming worse with the new patch.

Specifically, on the Torlan map I usually take a tank up on the mountain and perch on either side of the tower to pound the choke node.

In the past I have always been able to hit the node dead on without any trial and error. Now it takes 3-4 shots before I'm dialed in.

When I'm in the Bender I try to make sure I am facing my target with the Bender pointed straight at it (that usually allows for less discrepancy with the aim). If I am rotating the rear turret for 90 or 180 degree shots from the front of the bender then I too notice the aim being off.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Purity_the_Kitty wrote:Tanks always had a slight deviation percentage; the last patch made it bigger. Get used to it, it's here to stay - what I DON'T like, is the issue with the Hellbender rear turret that causes it to sometimes get misaligned. They haven't fixed it yet and probably CAN'T, but...can anyone tell me how to at least alleviate the pain of aiming straight at a guy's face and having those stupid beams land beside him?
Ha, I always find that irritating beyond belief. Fix? Wait for 2007.

Actually I typically notice this when the Hellbender gets knocked around. Don't drive like a madman and usually it will stay ok.
DW_ToxicWaste
Site Admin

Yeah, the tank aim was never 100%, so don't panic.

You want to talk about messing around with vehicles? Go install the base UT2004 with no patches and play around with the raptors and mantas. You guys would never shoot me down if they still moved like that. :compress:

Ahhh, the old days...