64-bit Gentoo Issues

Talk about anything UT2004 related
Purity_the_Kitty
1337 Haxor

Hey Zax, or anyone else who uses it, help me out on this one - my framerate SUCKS! I can pull a decent 30 fps in an average game on Windows, wheras on Linux I'm getting half that, running 32 bots.

I realize the bots cut into my framerate (I use this as a test) and I turn MUCH higher fps on Spam Vikings, but I really want my usual framerate back because there are points where my fps goes to shit due to lag, and if it's worse to begin with, the lag can only get worse...

Anyhow, my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ w/ 1GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600SE, 128MB RAM
Sound Blaster Live!

running Gentoo 2006.0...at least for now.
DW_Hornet
DW Clan Member

Most problem with linux gameing stems from shitty graphic drivers support. Your running a weak card in general, and the fact thats its ATI makes it much worse.
zeus
1337 Haxor

Yeah, ATI driver support really sucks on Linux compared to Nvidia. Though, I hear they are trying to make an effort now.

You can try googling for more information regarding your card specifically.
Zax_Gentoo_Box
1337 Haxor

Sorry, I don't know what those are. I know the Athlon is your Video Card, right? Anyway, I may be able to help you. My dad devotes most of his time on UT2004 trying to increase the FPS. First, you wanna overclock your video card. Open a command prompt and type "nvidia-settings". Go to overclocking, enable it, and overclock the video card. That's how I do it. This overclocks the video card (obviously). HOWEVER, my comp has a crappy video card, but dual Opteron processors. There's a way to get it so that the processor(s) take the bulk of the workload, cuz of UT2004's Karma engine. The thing that makes mantas sliding down a hill kill you. When you change the settings in-game, I think your changing them for the video card. I dunno. This is where I get hazy, even though I've been pretty hazy this entire time...
Purity_the_Kitty
1337 Haxor

Eep, I guess your dad rigs your box for ya, Zax. The Athlon core is my CPU - not a new one these days but hot enough for me right now - and the ATI Radeon is my video card.

Yeah, I know it's a weak card, and from what I looked at, my drivers are my bottleneck, which SUCKS. I could either wait and play in Windoze, or drop an Nvidia in it and get stupid, STUPID amounts of speed out of the gate. :)
HunkaHunkaBurninLove
Killer in Training

Your hardware definitely matters.

Using the standard UT2004 linux benchmark I was getting 31 fps with my old Athlon XP 1800+ / GeForce FX 5700 Ultra / Mandrake 10.0 box. Since January I'm getting 70 fps with Athlon64 x2 4200 / GeForce 7800 GT / Suse 10.0.

I don't how your Radeon compares with either of those cards. But as zeus pointed out, ATI's linux drivers are famously crappy (but improving) whereas nVidia's are about equivalent to their Windows drivers.
DW_Hornet
DW Clan Member

The 9600 se is a strip down card. Your 5700 would blow it away.
HunkaHunkaBurninLove
Killer in Training

Oh dear.
Namu
1337 Haxor

I would definintely say it is a driver issue. If finding better ATI drivers don't work, look for the Omega ones, they are 3rd party ATI drivers that sometimes perform better for windows and they may have linux support too. If that does not work, look for Linux drivers for your mobo, specifically to do with your AGP bus.
Namu
Purity_the_Kitty
1337 Haxor

I already have proper AGP drivers for the mobo, and the ATI drivers I'm using are the only ones available for the card. That GeForce 5700 sounds like a good idea, and I can pick one of those up on the cheap. :)