This topic discusses new look of the Web site.

Post any issues or suggestions you may have with the website or forums here.
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin
Xfire: bomzin

This topic is for the poll and the new look of the web site.

We still have some work to do but the switch needed to be made before we could carry on .

Hope you all enjoy the new look .
DW_5CitiesButcher
DW Clan Member
Xfire: 5CitiesButcher

Wow,What a great Job. Thanks for the good work. Butcher
If you're Not Living on the EDGE you are taking up TOO MUCH SPACE!
DW_BrainPan
DW Clan Member

It's different. I'll get used to it.

A couple of things I noticed (and you may already know about):

1. Once you enter a thread, there is no longer a link for new posts, so you have to either go back a page on your browser (which will not register that thread you were just in as read) or first go to the board index and then back to new posts.

2. Though I've been on and off the site numerous times the past couple of days, the forums continually lists my last visit as Thursday night and therefore shows numerous posts on the "new post" page that I have already read (and are marked as read). I have delete my browser cache and cookies as well, but it still insists I was last here on Thursday night.

(Hmmm, I haven't tried logging out of the forums directly. I'll try that now.)

Edit: That cleared it, but it seems the issue is that it no longer logs me out of the forums when I close the tab/browser. Is this the way it will be now (i.e. do I need to log out of the forums before closing the browser?)
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who read binary, and everyone else.
4013 is only a FAD
And 2989? Well that's just BAD
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin

DW_BrainPan wrote:It's different. I'll get used to it.

A couple of things I noticed (and you may already know about):

1. Once you enter a thread, there is no longer a link for new posts, so you have to either go back a page on your browser (which will not register that thread you were just in as read) or first go to the board index and then back to new posts.

2. Though I've been on and off the site numerous times the past couple of days, the forums continually lists my last visit as Thursday night and therefore shows numerous posts on the "new post" page that I have already read (and are marked as read). I have delete my browser cache and cookies as well, but it still insists I was last here on Thursday night.

(Hmmm, I haven't tried logging out of the forums directly. I'll try that now.)

Edit: That cleared it, but it seems the issue is that it no longer logs me out of the forums when I close the tab/browser. Is this the way it will be now (i.e. do I need to log out of the forums before closing the browser?)
1. I can fix that

2. Theres no telling what the ramifications are of some of the things I've been doing the past couple days.

3. Is this the way it will be . Nothing has changed on that front . The forum should log you out in 60 minutes of inactivity.

4. The problem with the Font color Hex showing in FF is back . Fixable .

5. Upon writing this need to do some editing on the post a reply section . This whole page needs some tweaking .
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin

nightmorph wrote:Kinda cluttered. All those widgets, apps, maps, profiles, image gradients, etc. really bog it down. I wish that more simple CSS was used; use CSS to reproduce the desired element color rather than rely on a slow-loading image gradient to do the same thing.

Both the foreground and especially the background are still very image-heavy and script-heavy, which noticeably slows page download and rendering times. Tested on Firefox (gecko engine) and on Midori (webkit engine).

nightmorph wrote:Kinda cluttered. All those widgets, apps, maps, profiles, image gradients, etc. really bog it down. I wish that more simple CSS was used; use CSS to reproduce the desired element color rather than rely on a slow-loading image gradient to do the same thing.
I'm going to dumb down the images I can that will help , but we are a gaming community . What do you expect ? I could print more news or even just loose some of it . You can just wait those 2 seconds for all those wonderful apps.
The "last activity" panel is quite handy, but I would like to see it more centrally placed. Perhaps move it to center, just below the server status area? It would shove the slow gameplay/image box further down the page.
The front page isn't set in stone . You may see everything to do with profiles on one side in time .

I had both home pages sort of linked together and really needed to do this switch to get finished up.
Jon!
1337 Haxor
Xfire: jonk27

still usin' the old monolith, becuase I'm used to it. But I'll take a look when the bugfixes are finished :) :cheers:
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Yeah, um, don't really care for it at all. Fortunately I get the nice grey theme when I log in still, but yeah.
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin

nightmorph wrote:
DW_Bomzin wrote:The front page isn't set in stone . You may see everything to do with profiles on one side in time .

I had both home pages sort of linked together and really needed to do this switch to get finished up.
Right. I like that most everything is broken down into discrete zones; I'd just like to see 'em shuffled around a bit. Or, heck, long as I'm dreamin' . . . is there any way to make 'em really modular, so that if we're logged in we can choose what to display, and where?

We all have different ideas of what takes priority on a page, and how much stuff we're willing to load up/scroll through, so havin' it all be individually adjustable would be major win. :)
Even if it were all in tab rollups. It all still loads in anticipation. As far as users being able to design there own front page . Not possible with this setup .
DW_BrainPan
DW Clan Member

DW_Bomzin wrote: 3. Is this the way it will be . Nothing has changed on that front . The forum should log you out in 60 minutes of inactivity.
Something has changed. It never logs me out.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who read binary, and everyone else.
4013 is only a FAD
And 2989? Well that's just BAD
DW_Snaggle
DW Clan Member

DW_BrainPan wrote:
DW_Bomzin wrote: 3. Is this the way it will be . Nothing has changed on that front . The forum should log you out in 60 minutes of inactivity.
Something has changed. It never logs me out.
Do you have 'Remember Me' checked on the front page? If so, uncheck it.

Snaggle.