@Karma....tick rate on Infamous?

Forum for Death Warrant's TAM server
DW_Pixie
DW Clan Member
Xfire: stacy1220

Zan and Aww have been asking recently what the tick rate on the server is set to? They have good pings (in the 30s) but complain about lag and both have mentioned that it might have something to do with what the tick rate is set to on the server since their ping is decent. I have no idea what they're talking about :) but I knew you would and I thought I might bring it up in case you thought about maybe tweaking it to see if that would help them and maybe some others on the server that complain about the lag issue as well?
DW_Jimmythedentist
DW Clan Member

I know next to nothing about computer servers and that definitely includes tick rates.

But I’m pretty certain it’s very closely related to the tock rate and I know for a fact in most systems the tock rate is almost exactly one per second.

Hope this helps some.

jimmy
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

It's in the server's UT2004.ini by the way.

Tickrate might improve things. It is pretty laggy, although the lag has more to do with the number of players and possibly the clientrate/netspeed. In general things get pretty bad with more than like 12 people in the server.
DW_KarmaKat
Site Admin
Xfire: KarmaKat

Tickrate on Infamous has been 30 since half of forever. (Default tickrate is 20.)

Higher tickrates = higher server CPU usage & higher bandwidth usage I'm understandably cautious about both of those in light of all the other servers we're running on the same box.

There's no short way to explain how server tickrates & client netspeed work...but the semi-short version is that if you raise the server tickrate, your client software will "see" a more defined location of other players in the server(data is updated more often), however depending on several factors, including your client side netspeed and internet connection, you actually may be receiving less data in each packet that the server sends. If the data hits a bottleneck, you can get packetloss or experience lag.

That's an extremely simplified explanation....if you want more info or are feeling particularly masochistic, drop me an email or PM. ;)

And Jimmy? Are you following the 'second star to the right, and straight on till morning.' directions?
Thank you for the smile! I needed that!

KK

:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
DW_Pixie
DW Clan Member

Thanks for the explanation, Karma. I still have no clue what any of it means and I don't really understand it but I trust you completely. :) I hope I didn't waste your time but I thought I would just let you know what I have been hearing. I know a lot of people do complain when a lot of people are on the server but I never experience lag except maybe on a very RARE occasion thankfully. :) I tell them they just need a new computer. ;) I appreciate you and the time you took to help me. Thanks again! :)
DW_Pixie
DW Clan Member

Oh and Jimmy ty you too. ;) :P