DM-aPortal2 [completed]

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
datmos
Killer in Training

Hi!

I am building a new map for servers Monster Mash Death Warrant.

Simply i opened this post to give me tips and ideas. For example: there must be many Adren spots? or safe areas, camping zones, and things like that, Tell me.

Attached are some screenshots of the map.
Many textures are not yet implemented, there is a room not even be here because this on is in construction, among other things.

Hope you like.

Last edited by datmos on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Azmodan
1337 Haxor

This looks like a lot of fun to play once it's finished :sclapping:

As for Adren spots, safe areas and camping zones it is very much the decision of the map maker.

A little help may be if you picture for what level of players you want to make this map. There are maps like "bunkers185", "shooting range" and "nightwolfs almost contained" where there are safe zones and adren in which you can pretty much hide all the map. Or camping zones from where you can shoot at almost everywhere on the map. These are helpful for low level players that can't survive outside on their own. On the other hand there are maps like "deep violet" and "absolute hell" which have neither safe spots nor adren and are fun for the higher players.

Some Adren spot on a map is always nice but you don't have to make it safe or anything (like on king of kong). You can also only leave it open for a few waves and then close it up (orbital invasion, crossfire extreme)

Camping zones, if you want to put some in, shouldn't make killing too easy without being hit, there are enough too easy maps already on the server. The entrance to a small room from where you can shoot linkgun at a bigger room should be enough ("nightwolfs testing facility" has the amount of linkgun protection that i mean)

safe areas? The only safe place should be 6 feet under the earth muhahaha :devil:
Nah joke, but safe areas don't need to be 100% safe either, like on "happy monster party" or "cargo ship" you can make it possible for monsters to reach these places or for queens to teleport inside them, to hunt down some people from time to time. Make the people who want to hide at least move around a bit in their safe hole to stay alive

Weapons: Also a choice you have to make for yourself, put all the weapons simply on a locker or put them 1 at a time around the map so someone has to gather them all first or even leave some weapons out all together (no flak on "techtrain" no linkgun on "tic tac toe"

But most important of all: Don't forget to put a portal gun in the map!!!

But as i can see from the screenshots so far it looks like a balanced map with moderately open areas for running around without globe, safe adren, spots for link parties where you can't shoot at more than your room, all in all it looks like a nice balanced map. I hope I can play it soon :sangel:
datmos
Killer in Training

Hey!

Many thanks for your answer ! Very nice answer, really.

Yes i tried to created a balanced map, as u said. With a pair of link party spots, a pair of link gun and mine layer spots with the possibility of being shot by the monsters, 1 100% save spot but without the possibility of attacking monsters and stuff like that.

I do not like the maps that you just shoot and not worry about anything more and you gain experience, I like the spots where he can shoot but with risks.

The adren spots, 1 of them is on 100% save spot, other 2 on 50% save spot ( xD ) and 1 outside.

Only 2 rooms left to finish the map, now im trying to import models from portal 2 game and importing them to unrealed. I managed. But using the import brush option, in game the fps fall down to 20 xD you know why, and with importing a static mesh, on the editor all goes perfect but then when playing it dont apper, the shadow is there but not the static mesh.

[shadow=blue]If I could fix this, I could make the map was more similar to portal to 2, using their own models. ( with turrets, cubes, and articuled arms... )[/shadow] [glow=red]FIXED ![/glow]
Of course the portal gun has to be present. hehe

I downloaded the invasion RPG 2.2 mutator, to test it, but is so different from DW, no raptors, no queens to check their teleports, nothing. by chance, there is no more similar mutator like yours?

Yes i want to play that map with others players too, i hope to finish it in 2 days

Thanks!
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Hey datmos!

Interesting looking map. Looking forward to your first release.

More difficult maps are currently in higher demand. Try not to go overboard with super pickups and safe spots.
But from your previous post, it sounds like you have a good idea what a balanced map is so I wont go too far into details.

Monsters are separate packages from the gametype. You'll have to download each monster pack, and configure your ini file to spawn the new monsters (installation instructions are typically found in the ReadMe file that comes with the monster download).
For an example: the Queens may be found in the SatoreMonsterPack.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Looks pretty good some far, some notes and constructive criticism here:

I like the looks / theme of your level, but if you are focusing on cubic shapes you should try to make sure that your textures align properly with the brushes you've laid out. It's pretty noticeable when it doesn't.

From what I can tell, your spaces look somewhat small for 2k4, especially with quad jump enabled. You might want to think about the size of your major areas to ensure that players and monsters have enough space. If you can quad jump from one side of a major room to the other side, it's probably too small.

In addition, if you're going to have transparent gratings, make sure you place a blocking volume of say 16 width around the sheet, otherwise players may try to glitch it.
datmos
Killer in Training

Very good advices and criticism, thanks! :sclapping:

Ok will try to get the map a bit more difficult.

Perfect, especially interests me because the Queen has teleport and i want to see how it react on this map.

----

Yes. to square cubes with texture is what runs longer. Most are square with its texture, less the "space" ground. I need to fix it.

You're right, but I have not yet very clear, which is better 1 large room or 2/3 medium-large. Well I'm always in time to enlarge a room.
About quad jump, what I need to use it in my tests?

About transparent gratings, did not know, I'll do what you say.

I will comment.

Thanks again!
datmos
Killer in Training

Hi!

The map is almost finished!

I'm with the portal gun, which works perfectly but I do not like visually, I'm trying to change the mesh of the portal gun, but in the game still appears the old mesh, not mine.

First: You know how to change the mesh of the portal gun? (Do not tell me in StaticMeshes xD).

Second: As the name of the map that has a blue portal gun?

Greetings!
Azmodan
1337 Haxor

datmos wrote:
Second: As the name of the map that has a blue portal gun?

Greetings!
Aren't all portal guns on the MM Servers blue? "Bud" has one, "Nightwolfs Almost Contained" has one, "Tanked" has one and "Nightwolfs Testing Facility" has one too. There are some other maps that have one but i can't recall their names from my memory alone.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

In order to change the mesh of the Portal gun you'd need to recompile the code package it's in to utilize your new mesh. Probably not worth the effort in my opinion.
datmos
Killer in Training

Azmodan wrote:Aren't all portal guns on the MM Servers blue? "Bud" has one, "Nightwolfs Almost Contained" has one, "Tanked" has one and "Nightwolfs Testing Facility" has one too. There are some other maps that have one but i can't recall their names from my memory alone.
Precisely these maps I can not open with UnrealEd xD -. -
DW_WailofSuicide wrote:In order to change the mesh of the Portal gun you'd need to recompile the code package it's in to utilize your new mesh. Probably not worth the effort in my opinion.
Really? not so funny to leave the default mesh, you see the default mesh? looks like a mini gun made of white paper. : S

A portal2 map-based and have that "shit" portal gun xD

good, I will investigate a bit more about it and if I do not get solution (or yes) I think I send you the map today

thanks