The 10 seconds between each wave...

Check out Death Warrant's Invasion Server
pulp
Killer in Training

Two alternative suggestions:

1) Players can give a 'not ready' signal. If the majority of players give the 'not ready' signal before the 10 seconds are up, then the time is extended to 30 seconds.

2) Time available is fixed but based on wave number, for example:

Wave 1 - 5: 5 seconds
Wave 6 - 10: 10 seconds
Wave 11 - 16: 20 seconds

I don't know what the best system would be, but I think that the fixed 10 seconds for each wave is sometimes unreasonable and that there needs to be some flexibility.
høerb
Killer in Training

played on this server from time to time and more, never had a problem with that.
take it as it is and cope with it, hurry up !
pulp
Killer in Training

On some maps it is borderline impossible to find a safe place and get a half decent weapon in 10 seconds.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

pulp wrote:On some maps it is borderline impossible to find a safe place and get a half decent weapon in 10 seconds.
Half the time that's the mapper's intention. Increasing the wave interval may call for bigger maps.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

DW_Ant wrote:Half the time that's the mapper's intention.
That's ridiculous - why would a map designer want resurrected players to be killed at the start of a wave? It only serves to frustrate the player and make the game unplayable.
Azmodan
1337 Haxor

you know that you are talking to the mapper who started to spawn players in cages right?
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

pulp wrote:That's ridiculous - why would a map designer want resurrected players to be killed at the start of a wave? It only serves to frustrate the player and make the game unplayable.
The idea is for adaptation. The best games are where the player must improvise based on the circumstances. The player will have to decide to if they want to run for shelter or gather weapons. They will have to choose if the risk is worth the reward.

If this was false, then majority of the maps will spawn all players inside a safe spot with all of the gear they need.

FFE466

If you go for weapons instead of shelter, then you're dead, and if you go for shelter instead of weapons, then you can't kill anything. It's a lose-lose situation. Players need more prep time in the later waves.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

pulp wrote:If you go for weapons instead of shelter, then you're dead, and if you go for shelter instead of weapons, then you can't kill anything. It's a lose-lose situation. Players need more prep time in the later waves.
This is true, but 90% of the time you'll spawn close enough to some weapon. You may not always get the desired mine layer or link gun, but you get to fight monsters with weapons you're not completely comfortable with such as bio rifle or rocket launcher (this goes back to the adaptation situation). If the player is completely reluctant to use those weapons, they could either ask for a teammate to bring them a weapon or take a risk to adventure out of the nest to obtain a better weapon. Taking a risk to obtain a weapon does not always conclude in death.

Perhaps I should briefly explain my experiments. Periodically I would invite my friends over (some are not fps gamers) to play Monster Mash with a level 25 character. Several years after the experiments, they say the best moments they remember was when they were out in the middle of the field running to the bunker or for the mine layer. The would occasionally scream whenever they would hear a queen teleport behind them, or they've dodged a couple rocks. It would also get intense when they would sneak their way around a raptor.

In short, games are here to emerge players into a scenario of conflict where entertainment and memories is perceived. Giving the player the winning conditions every time isn't sufficient enough to achieve this for most players.

FFE466

pulp wrote:...and if you go for shelter instead of weapons, then you can't kill anything...
That isn't true. Everyone spawn with a MP5 weapon, a shield gun and a translocator... more then enough to escape bad situation (using the trans) or kill monster (using the MP5). The MP5 is also considered has one of the most powerful weapon to use in monster mash. Has a medic, it is a weapon of choice, has a Weapon master or Adren Master it is the best weapon to use against any flying monsters.

If you absolutely NEED every weapon from the start then be a Weapon Master. WM can have the Loaded Weapon skill that make them spawn with every weapon, a perfect fit for players who don't want to have to look for weapon at the beginning of waves. And has a Adrenline Master you only have to look for weapon once since the Recall lvl3 skills make you keep ALL your weapon when you die.
I got the reflex of the fly, now catch me if you can!