Modern Warfare 2 (COD6)

Anything and everything related to COD4
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

Loyal modders, mappers, and developers are "fixing" the game in a way they see fit.
So then it is not as big an issue with UT3 because they allowed for a way for people to fix what they should have done correctly to begin with? We surely must applaud companies for that.
I think it's a little sad to try and make any comparison between UT3 and COD6
I disagree. To me, there is a much larger feel of a "console port" discrepancy between UT2004 and UT3, than there is from CoD4 to MW2. Of course from your perspective wail you have a right to say no modding in MW2 = crap because you are so damn good at and interested in modding. I respect that. But you don't have a position to really tell me I'm sad for making a comparison you're not able to make fairly.
Last edited by Damnidge on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Damnidge
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

Pros & Cons

A list of the things the game did do right:

1. You no longer loose out on an earlier killstreak reward if you don't select it when available before getting to the next killstreak reward level.

2. All of the killstreak rewards are controlled by the user who acquired them. No more flying bot helicopters. If there is a cobra, F-21, etc in the air, the player pwning you is steering, aiming, etc.

3. A first blood, double-kill, triple kill, points reward that does not go away (that is, it is not a challenge that once received you never get again. you get points every time you get them)

4. It is much harder to run into a room and pray and spray than it was in CoD4. You have to aim or get very lucky, which controls noobism.

5. So far the advertised "you play with others your level" is correct, and I notice it. I look at the ranks at the beginning of each level, and they are usually near each other. The gameplay has been solid for this.

6. There are way more perks, rewards, etc. that make playing the game more fun.

7. The range of weapons and available add-ons are solid, and yes they seem more balanced than before.

8. The graphics are much better than CoD4

To be fair to the crowd against the game, there are a few cons I noticed:

1. There is a phantom trail left by grenades when you throw them to assist in better aiming. This seems noobish to me.

2. I do dislike not having lean. But that is the only thing I've noticed that I miss. I do notice however that no lean seems to cut down on campers who hide in a corner and lean out.

3. There is more of a mechanical feel to some movements, but nothing crazy.

PC vs. Console

The final comment I have is more of a point to consider. I read a lot of articles on MW2 that constantly seem themed to the extent of "loyal PC customers got screwed again." Those of us that still play PC only are loyal, but if the numbers are staggeringly larger in the console market for these games, and they seem to grow larger with each year, then we have to ask ourselves how loyal we really are as an entire group if thousands of old PC users have defected to consoles. Yes I know a large portion are being "raised into consoles," but there are a lot of old PC users I know who defected to console. The local TV station interviewed the people in line for the xbox game and tons of them were 35-50 year old men buying it for themselves. This is the PC market! The shift in numbers is too great to attribute it to teen gamers alone.

Those of you who are truly pissed really don't change much by not buying MW2 - it already produced the money they need for MW3 - the answer is to destroy any current gen consoles you own with a hammer, and encourage your friends to to the same!
Cheers, Damnidge
DW_Damaged
DW Clan Member

You can't lean? What the hell is up with that. In real combat you lean around a corner you don't step out into the open to get shot!! It's not being a noob to lean around a corner so you don't take a bullet in the head it's common sense. Not that you can't get shot leaning but thats rediculous. Everyone has there own perspective of the game Damnidge and I repect your decision. But I'm a pc gamer and have my pc built to play games. Even though I have a 42" LCD as my monitor I don't want to sit in front of a TV to either play a console game or to watch TV. I know there is a pc version of the game but IW is as you said building things towards the console more than the pc. I use my pc to play games, remote into the college and fix problems with the servers, test beta products from Novell (which is going away) and Microsoft. I do more with my pc than most people and I don't want to play a game in the family room and then go to my pc to do other stuff. I have eveything right here in front of me in a nice comfy chair. With that said to me it's more the point that IW does not care about what we as a group of pc gamers think. Also as for the gunship you mentioned I played on a server with a mod that had a Nuclear strike, Napalm and allowed you to be in a gunship so for me mods are the way to go. IMO MW2 without mods will get old real quick.

But to each his own and I am sure there are some good reasons why 4.9 million units have been sold. But as for me I will not get it and give IW the satisfaction of telling me it's their way or the highway. Before you know it you will pay $60 for the game and then they will charge you to play. It's all about greed these days and not customer satisfaction. BTW, since when in real life did you see where a nade was thrown from?

Peace Out
Damaged
DW_Skittles
Site Admin

an update was released today to improve the matchmaking so maybe there is hope for them to work on other stuff aswell.
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

I love toasters.
Cheers, Damnidge
DW_Mobius
DW Clan Member
Xfire: redeemermma

I just got a laugh out of that lean picture, so I posted it. Let me say now that I don't have it, and I'm judging it like I would any other game (that didn't even offer a playable demo) before I went out to drop $60 on it.

From what I've heard, the games fun, and I have no doubt that it IS indeed fun.

What completely turns me off to the game is that I was looking for a competitive game, and this will never be one without modding support or/and console access. IW's "fuck off" to pc gaming approach doesn't really bother me too much, as to be honest, I really don't care.

4.9 sold copies doesn't impress me considering what they could have sold. CoD4 was such a unbelieveably successful game that I'm sure the enormous percentage of those copies sold were 1. NOT for the pc, and 2. Simply because the name is CoD:MW.....2.

Think about it, if the game was named... I don't know.. "Omega Squadron," and you knew all that we know of this game, would any of you gone out and paid $60 for it on the day that it was released? I highly doubt it. I see lot's of FPS's with similar, albiet weaker implementations of the same game mechanics/weapons/gametypes. You wouldn't know how well any of it worked until of course you bought it as the demos weren't that spectacular if you didn't know what game you were looking at, and that leads me to believe that it didn't sell like crazy because they did something right, but because they named it right.

A summation of all the reviews and comments I've heard in vent and in forums lead to the same general conclusion. It's a fun casual game. I've been told it does feel a little arcade-like. I might even buy it, if it wasn't $60. I can't see it lasting as long a CoD4 without modding as that's the only reason I'm still playing 4.
Namu
1337 Haxor

I like toast. Buttery toast. Hey sweaters!

I am on the fence with this game because the setup of multi-player seems like that of Left 4 Dead... I NEVER had good pings with that game. I can't believe dedicated is not an option, the technology was already there. Oh well, maybe I can convince Damnidge to let me borrow his steam login so I can play the single player for a weekend. :cheers:

On the other side...consoles. The console experience is definitely more casual, and as I develop my career (Officially Net Admin now :cheers: ) and add a baby to the picture I see my free time dwindle. The console setup seems more accessible for some reason. I did Halo 3 on the 360, and I went full force. All 1000 achievement points when it first came out. It was pretty good experience considering a shitty ass thumb stick is used for shooting. Give me mouse and keyboard on Xbox and I would probably buy that version(love my 5.1 surround and 1080p). That and my wife loves to watch me play games and she actually played halo with me...alot. Having come from this clan and experienced Community and true competitiveness in gaming I knew what was missing. But most don't and never will. Also you can never get past the expense of having a gaming PC and the issues associate with PCs in general. (I remember the days of walking people through Vent setup...)

The market truly is shifting; blame piracy, console evolution..whatever. Today I looked in a Target and Meijer and could not find the PC version of this anywhere (I never ask!) I very easily found the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions though. Best buy had it, but the PC section is starting to remind me of the 9.99 game shelves you see everywhere, its small and pathetic.

Long bit of jabber, but its an obvious point. I think once MMOS can be pulled off really successfully on a console I think PC gaming will unfortunately be left to die hards. :scry:
Namu
DW_Damaged
DW Clan Member

Damnidge wrote:I love toasters.

I'll sell you mine for $60 :lmao:
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

Yeah toast is something that ussally gets burned more often then not even if you properly set the timer. It just never seems to come out the way you want it.

This is the whole reason the game just does not appeal to me. I understand you guys are starting families and all and your time has been limited, and the console appeals to you more and more, it did for me for a while. The reason I won't get it is the complete disregard for competition and clans. I am not the greatest player but telling me that I have to play the game this way or that way and with who is no what I want. I prefer knowing the server and rule set. not too mention from my observance I hear the M203 is defiantly way over powered still and in effect. That to me is instant turn off. The game in multi does not appeal. So even though it may be great for the casual gamer it does nothing for me. I can spend my time and money else where, and play with the people I want to play with.

No shame, no dishonor, will run away to fight another day!
ACY
Namu
1337 Haxor

Problem solved for me, getting the new Super Marios Bro game for the Wii. dunna dunna dunaa dooda dooda dooda.
Namu