ONS-OverRun2004

Discuss all things related to our custom map 32 player ONS server
-goose-
Camper

Goose, is there a map you recommend?
I take you mean for ONS?

I can recommend a whole set of maps.

Criteria:
1) No single choke node in the middle of the map.
2) Given multiple node paths, they will ideally be non-linear (not exclusive).
3) Non-stock vehicles should be kept to a minimum.
4) The number of vehicles on the server should not significantly out number the number of players (32) The game was designed to be played as a mix of ground forces and vehicles; it isn't Oprah where everybody gets a car.
5) Instant kill vehicles which require 0 skill to use should be limited to 1 per map (across all types), period (levi, ion-tank, ppc, etc). I did't include the DW minotaur, because unlike the "omnitaur" accuracy is still required.
6) There should not be an excessive number of superweapons present (redeemers, etc..)
7) The supershock does not belong in ONS, it gives an overwhelming advantage to the more skilled (typically) player who is already at an advantage to begin with.

While the above criteria may be judged as necessary for a quality ONS map, they should not be considered sufficient. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, but they should be... exceptional. It may also be noted that the above criteria would go a long way to reducing spawn camping, base raping, point whoring, and general douchebaggery...

Of course, you could always just put a dome over this guy's map and rename it Deathdome-DW-V3. I'm sure it would be hugely popular. When I have the desire to play ONS, I don't want to spawn rape, I don't want to DM, I don't want to shoot the same node over and over for 45 minutes, I don't want to be forced to wait for a vehicle to spawn because going on foot is pointless, I just want to play ONS. I guess I'm old fashioned.

Example of a map I considered fun: Silva. There are of course many, many more... they just don't get played much anymore. TW Mushroom Forest was also a favorite...
d1Rt
Camper

-goose- wrote:
Goose, is there a map you recommend?
I take you mean for ONS?

I can recommend a whole set of maps.

Criteria:
1) No single choke node in the middle of the map.
2) Given multiple node paths, they will ideally be non-linear (not exclusive).
3) Non-stock vehicles should be kept to a minimum.
4) The number of vehicles on the server should not significantly out number the number of players (32) The game was designed to be played as a mix of ground forces and vehicles; it isn't Oprah where everybody gets a car.
5) Instant kill vehicles which require 0 skill to use should be limited to 1 per map (across all types), period (levi, ion-tank, ppc, etc). I did't include the DW minotaur, because unlike the "omnitaur" accuracy is still required.
6) There should not be an excessive number of superweapons present (redeemers, etc..)
7) The supershock does not belong in ONS, it gives an overwhelming advantage to the more skilled (typically) player who is already at an advantage to begin with.

While the above criteria may be judged as necessary for a quality ONS map, they should not be considered sufficient. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, but they should be... exceptional. It may also be noted that the above criteria would go a long way to reducing spawn camping, base raping, point whoring, and general douchebaggery...

Of course, you could always just put a dome over this guy's map and rename it Deathdome-DW-V3. I'm sure it would be hugely popular. When I have the desire to play ONS, I don't want to spawn rape, I don't want to DM, I don't want to shoot the same node over and over for 45 minutes, I don't want to be forced to wait for a vehicle to spawn because going on foot is pointless, I just want to play ONS. I guess I'm old fashioned.

Example of a map I considered fun: Silva. There are of course many, many more... they just don't get played much anymore. TW Mushroom Forest was also a favorite...
^+1
Kaal979
Killer in Training

New version updated!
Now with working spawn select.
:salute: :banana: :salute:
Kaal979
Killer in Training

I found out a minor improvement for the online gameplay:
increasing the tankfactories spawn delay. This way the
tanks cant bang the node continuous what real players
would surely do. Also the minigun turrets should spawn
more delayed - only the scorpions are correct
(for redeemer racing). But for offline play the current
version fits somehow better so in case you add it to
the server make the modifications and add the server
tag to the name.
Kaal979
Killer in Training

Ok - now i decided to upload the new version with the delays. :shi:
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

I believe this map needs more attention. The linear node setup will easily lead the game to a 45 minute stalemate. Not to mention it's frustrating having to run or drive five minutes just to get to the center.

There is room to add some interesting gameplay elements. You got all of that open space, perhaps you can use that for other bases (ie: more nodes), and have faster vehicles that can travel this long terrain. Right now, the map is just too open with nothing out there.

Weapon lockers is a must, too. ONS is very tight on time. Players will get frustrated if they can't find a weapon locker within five seconds after spawning.

This is definitely a start, but it isn't well-suited for a 32-player Onslaught yet.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

I tested the map on another server and it was quick and dry.
First we dominated the hilltop for a few minutes but then like
bloOdy beginners were backstabbed and sent to helL like some.
This damn bastard must have hidden on the roof all the time!
:geek: :idea: :clown:
Kaal979
Killer in Training

Reupload of new version!

New fixes:
added damage zones in the corners
and adjusted skycam for farther sight.

Older fixes:
lowered fort wall to fill gaps and
increased vehicle spawn delay.

:cheers: :idea: :bigsmurf:
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Is there more than one node?

Also please read Goose's post. He does have many solid points and are very suggestive for ONS maps.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

I made another new version with added under-terrain
lavazone which unfortunately somehow diappeared.

http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/ ... le&id=7989