@team switching

Discuss all things related to our custom map 32 player ONS server
joeblow
1337 Haxor

I want to get some input on what I see as a problem. Tonight I logged into a quick game and in the course of one map half of the players team switched or attempted to team switch repeatably. One player even asked me why the server wouldn't let him switch to red. I have been giving 10 game kick to repeat switchers. This is the only server that I know of that does not BAN people for team switching.

I understand there is some that want to balance the teams and make it a better game. I also understand that we have the mutate balance and auto balance functions enabled. I am also per-posing that we get rid of the bots so that the teams can be evened up with live players.

I also considering hanging it up as an admin since I am not enjoying babysitting people that in the year 2012 no how to behave in a video game but choose not to. I banned 2 for racism just this week alone and I bet I have played 3 hours at the most. Might be time for me to find another hobby besides this one.

/discuss

wp
joblow@bellsouth.net game contact email.
-goose-
Camper

Being an admin can make you bitter in a hurry...

My policy with general douchebaggery these days is to simply permaban the GUID. A new copy of the game costs $5-10. Life is too short to put up with crap you don't have to.
DW_Jimmythedentist
DW Clan Member

If ever I catch it in real time, I’ve been trying – and failing - to calmly explain why team switching can sometimes fuck things up for everybody.

Yes, it sure can be frustrating. And certainly it may make for a shitty round or maybe two. But, like so much else that goes on in-game, I’ve learned to let that stuff slide.

I no longer mind in the least little bit if some schmoe tries to change when there’s a bunch of peeps playing. In the big scheme of things it doesn’t even usually show up on my radar.

There’s plenty of other crap that gets me all riled up, Jack!

And, unfortunately, not much of that is “ban-able”.

Say it ain’t so, Joe!

Don’t let the schmoes win.

Our community is a zillion times better for having you here and fighting the good fight against all those evil doers.

(Not to be confused with my evil Dewars).

While you’re probably on to something there when you suggest trying some different vices, I sure do hope you stick with this one.

As far as eliminating the bots goes, didn’t I once hear that there was a way to maybe make fewer bots at any given time?

And also to make the bots disappear altogether with fewer real peeps in-game?

I don’t know that getting rid of them completely would be very fun.

But maybe we could minimize them a little bit and see if folks dig it.

Roger. Heading to 3.

Jimmy
d1Rt
Camper

Yes, there are ppl that switch to the winning team or the team that they perceive as the winning team. Fortunately, most of the time, these ppl really don't matter. These are typically the guys hanging out in the enemy base, laying spiders, or nading vehicles and frantically giggling while they touch themselves. [s]I don't think it's any worse now than it has been traditionally...the team switching that is...not the giggling or touching of one's self.[/s] It seems that team switching, spidering, nading, giggling, and touching of one's self has been pretty even keel.

I do know that Paminator was switching (to blue mostly) quite a bit for a while. Not that she cares to much what I think, but I was laying into her whenever I noticed she did and, perhaps, as a result, I haven't noticed her doing it lately.

Prob be better of with a no team switch mod. It's very rare to see someone switch teams to balance these days.

Maybe a message accross the screen after one has entered the server? Hell, even a loading screen message.

It's my opinion that at this point in the game everyone pretty much knows what the hell they're up to. I would be liberal in my dispensing of the temp bans until the troops fell in-line. Most of the folks don't need babysitting, but there's always gotta be a few token DB's.

Thx for still caring joe. It's be a shame to see you go.
Grey

2 Players switch consistently - pretty much every map. They switch to the team that is stacked (which happens 9 times outta 10 on this server). Everyone knows who they are.

This is one of many issues I have with this server - thank God the decent players still make it worth coming back to.
Hyden
Killer in Training

I do agree with kicking people switching to the winning team but not those switching to the losing team. I know how you feel though joe, I used to admin frequently when we had servers & there was an endless flood of issues to deal with. It is an important thing though as you do get the occassional cheater that needs to be dealt with.

To be honest though I admit it's more fun not being an admin, I enjoy the game a lot more now. I appreciate what you guys do though.
Terminator
Killer in Training

I completely agree with Hyden and co. Threatning to ban someone for switching to the losing team is pathetic. That losing team lost for a reason and someone switching to the other team to help them win deserves props, not a ban. While if someone switches to the winning team, then ban them. I love the server an I appreciate the ones who do the work to keep it up and running, but please don't ban people for switching to the losing team.

Cya on the battlefield.
joeblow
1337 Haxor

I agree about the switching to a loosing team but... :banana:

What if you, me, Hyden and Dirt all switch?We mean well but yeah then its a mess. The computer tries to balance the teams. 2 people type in mutate balance. Hyden gets mad logs out logs back in 2 or 3 times. I stop what I am doing to login and referee. End game is its a mess.

SO as far as the "cronic" team switchers I have been giving 10 game kicks. I'm pretty sure I know who they are by now. Banning is a whole nother thing but after repeated warnings and kicks what else is there?

I have been asking when I am on if people want the bots on or off. I also don't mind force switching people to balance the teams although I don't know if the computer will force you back or not. We might have to mess around with it with some volunteers sometime.

wp
-goose-
Camper

SO as far as the "cronic" team switchers I have been giving 10 game kicks.
That isn't really a punishment as it isn't even a 1 day temp-ban. I would kick them 99 levels, which would work out to a 2 or 3 days max temp-ban. But that's just me...
joeblow
1337 Haxor

Just adding that we have two things on the server currently.

Auto balance-Server automatically balances the teams. It works but not well enough.

Mutate balance- pull down the console screen ~ and type it in.Helps if you spell it correctly. Works well and a nice manual setting.

With these 2 settings in place the "self" team switching mungs up the works, Happened again yesterday and i got in a verbal shout out with Pastor about it inadvertently. :geek:

wp