ONS-Baldur DW32

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

Hi DW.. After a brief hiatus I am back playing 2k4 ONS on your awesome server. The last few matches I have played on the map ONS-Baldur BETA1 on your server pretty much everyone complained about the weapon lockers and their lack of choice weapons so I have fixed that and added a few small tweaks.

map tweaks:

1. added more weapons to every weapon locker
2. added jump pads at the primary nodes so it is easier to get to the manta on top of the shipping containers.
3. added teleporters to all of the center nodes(4) which take you from next to the node to the rooftops of the buildings containing the nodes.

Download ONS- Balder DW32 version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?m4in48ybi3hxhh4

any other maps need tweaks or fixes? I dont mind :ssmile:
DW_KarmaKat
Site Admin
Xfire: KarmaKat

Welcome back! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I've got your redux of Baldur...we'll give it a test drive sometime in the next couple of days. THANK YOU!

As for other maps that could use some attention...that is a lot of maps! LOL
Let me ask some of my fellow DWs...we might be able to come up with a short version of the List.

KKat

:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Hey Sanchez, good to see you back. Looking forward to taking a look at this update.
DW_BrainPan
DW Clan Member

Hey Sanchez,
There are definitely a few that I have been thinking about updating and since the terrain editor portion of my UnrealED still refuses to function correctly, some of it I can't do.

One that I've been wanting to change for a while is BE-Ravine. The map needs some general changes, such as weapon locker mods and some vehicle rearrangement (e.g. faster rides at/near the cores, slower rides in the middle -- some wail speedy scorps). But, I always thought that the map could easily support (actually begs for) some more nodes.

By the way, whatever happened to that downtown map you were working on.

19/3594?start=10
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who read binary, and everyone else.
4013 is only a FAD
And 2989? Well that's just BAD
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

Thanks for the welcome back!

I will take a look at BE-Ravine.

The Downtown map had special nodes in it and I do not know if the creator of these nodes ever got them working correctly. The special nodes were essential to the functioning of the map. I did message Crusha, who made the nodes but he doesnt have time to work on them now.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

DW_BrainPan wrote:There are definitely a few that I have been thinking about updating and since the terrain editor portion of my UnrealED still refuses to function correctly, some of it I can't do.
Sounds like a similar problem I had awhile ago. We should talk in vent to see if we can resolve this.

By the way, it's awesome to see you here, Sanchez.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

I've had ongoing issues with the editor ever since I started mapping or ME, I'm on my phone at the moment, but I'll post some screenshots of the issues.. So far the fix has been to delete your user.ini file (after backing it up first of course).

Are you on win7 by chance?

Edit: Here's the screenshots

Surface editor: Image

Terrain Editor: Image

Matinee Editor: Image
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

yes windows 7 here and I get issues like that also. Try resizing the window then close and reopen it.

I am going to work on ONS Downtown a bit and try to get it out. The map is pretty much done, the only issue (so far) was with the special nodes so I am removing them. Downtown as it is from UT3 might be boring in 2k4 ONS so I have changed the map to try to make it more suitable in ONS. I duplicated the whole map and placed the 2 identical maps next to each other and am connecting them. This will allow for twice the amount of nodes, more play area, more vehicles, and a more interesting node link setup with 2 node link routes to attack the core(s). Not sure when I will have a playable version ready.

Here is how Downtown will be, nodes and/or core locations are the red dots:

DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

If you encounter that window problem again, delete the "[WindowPositions]" section from your UT2004/System/user.ini file.

Making the Downtown map symmetrical sounds like a cool idea. It'll make it more suitable for 32 players and less crowded. Although I'm a bit worried for the performance (frame rates), but then again the buildings should provide enough cover for zone portals and antiportals.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Sanch3z2012 wrote:yes windows 7 here and I get issues like that also. Try resizing the window then close and reopen it.

I am going to work on ONS Downtown a bit and try to get it out. The map is pretty much done, the only issue (so far) was with the special nodes so I am removing them. Downtown as it is from UT3 might be boring in 2k4 ONS so I have changed the map to try to make it more suitable in ONS. I duplicated the whole map and placed the 2 identical maps next to each other and am connecting them. This will allow for twice the amount of nodes, more play area, more vehicles, and a more interesting node link setup with 2 node link routes to attack the core(s). Not sure when I will have a playable version ready.

Here is how Downtown will be, nodes and/or core locations are the red dots:

I always wanted to do this in UT3, but when I was editing maps for UT3 my computer definitely couldn't handle it. (Which is sad, because even doubled like that, it's not even as big as some maps in 2k4 like Minus). I think it'd be great to do that for a 2k4 version though.