DM-DarkAgonWastes (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Tribute) [MMs]

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
BrianTheCorrupt
Killer in Training

Having a bit of inspiration lately from playing the Metroid Prime games, I've begun working on another map project for the Monster Mash servers. I have been lazy with my other project, DM-Tourian, but that doesn't mean the project is dead, I just wanted to get other sources of inspiration in my UT2004Editor.

Currently, I've got the battlefield as a wide open area, but I do plan on getting it filled with spires, plateaus, and maybe a couple caverns in there as well. My thoughts make it so it'd be open, almost like AbsoluteHell, but not extremely tough to survive while keeping the safest areas still exposed whenever possible to monster attacks, but with a lot less punishment compared to AbsoluteHell. I'd probably factor it at around a 7 or an 8 on the difficulty scale (1 being Super Easy, 10 being Super Hard).

I'm trying to be accurate with the atmosphere that was in the game, Hazardous/Toxic to be in, but I've got an idea for neutral healing zones scattered throughout the map, similar to the Luminoth Light Beacons both Crystalized (Permanent activation) and Energized (Shoot to activate, 30 seconds until deactivation, repeat).

I tested the Crystalized Beacons, making the whole map a Hazardous PhysicsVolume (PV), then adding neutral healing PV around the test Beacon, but damage from outside still persists while inside the Beacon's Area Of Effect (AOE). Is there a way to make the priority of a PV be higher than another to prevent this? Or would I have to manually build the Hazardous PVs around the Safer ones? Also on this subject, is there a way to make Mines from the Mine Layer not detonate due to these PVs?

I do have a question about the Hazardous PVs in terms of the amount of damage, should I make it high like 10-25 HP damage/second, or low with about 1-2 HP damage/second? Or should I forget it all together and only make Healing Beacons?

Anyways, I hope that this sounds like a neat idea for a map, although between my FanFiction writing/reading, Playing on MMs2, and General Laziness, I can get distracted quite a bit.
I'll continue to work on this new map project and the DM-Tourian project when I get inspired (off my butt, as I think it seems). I feel that I'm shooting myself in the foot, as the expression goes, with not one, but two projects. But meh, I'll get done what I can and hopefully have at least something up in the future whether it's this map, DM-DarkAgonWastes, or DM-Tourian, it's the least I could do for DW with providing an awesome experience. :sbigsmile:
[hr]
Semper Fi. OORAH! :salute:
My Classes In MMs2:

BrianTheCorrupt - M/MM: Lv 638
BrianTheEnraged - AM: Lv 708
BrianTheGunzerkr - WM: Lv 318

My Map Projects (All on hold):
DM-Tourian
DM-DarkAgonWastes
DM-CargoTrain
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Some cool ideas there Brian.

(Apologies for being kind of MIA for awhile. I'm pretty busy and so MM has been taking a back seat for me.)

For physics volumes there's a property called priority (or something like that) which determines which one takes precedence in a given area.

Getting the damage per second right is something you might want a custom volume for. I would be willing to help you out there. Something that would do a hybrid flat number of damage, but scale up for higher HP values (1-2 damage a second is actually significant if you only have 100 health for example, but not too significant if you have 1000.)

Mines are destroyed in default physics volumes since they simply apply damage to whatever is inside of them. It really sounds like what you want is a physics volume that only damages players specifically, that is also something easy to code up for you. (I need to get my programming environment for UT2004 set up on my new computer here though.)

Keep us apprised of progress and if you want me to create those custom volumes then keep reminding me by bumping this thread until I do it.
BrianTheCorrupt
Killer in Training

DW_WailofSuicide wrote:For physics volumes there's a property called priority (or something like that) which determines which one takes precedence in a given area.
I fiddled a bit with this but it didn't work during the time, so I'll keep tweaking with this until I figure it out.
DW_WailofSuicide wrote:Getting the damage per second right is something you might want a custom volume for. I would be willing to help you out there. Something that would do a hybrid flat number of damage, but scale up for higher HP values (1-2 damage a second is actually significant if you only have 100 health for example, but not too significant if you have 1000.)
This sounds neat, but I that sounds like a hassle to deal with. I did have thoughts on having an extra layer of immersion by having some sort of VolumeTrigger (VT) that a player could activate in a semi-hidden location that would swap a High-Damage Atmosphere to a Low-Damage Volume, then having another VT in a tough to find location to actually get rid of the Damaging Atmosphere altogether [Similar to acquiring MP2's, Dark Suit (Lowers damage) and then the Light Suit (Stops damage)], but it just makes things complicated.
DW_WailofSuicide wrote:Mines are destroyed in default physics volumes since they simply apply damage to whatever is inside of them. It really sounds like what you want is a physics volume that only damages players specifically, that is also something easy to code up for you. (I need to get my programming environment for UT2004 set up on my new computer here though.)
This is something that I'd like, personally I hate it when Mines detonate in my face due to the harmful PhysicsVolumes, and with hopes of getting this map on the server in the future, I'd appreciate any help with this since I have practically no knowledge on programming/coding.
DW_WailofSuicide wrote:Keep us apprised of progress and if you want me to create those custom volumes then keep reminding me by bumping this thread until I do it.
I'll try to keep up with working on this map and provide updates when I'm able. I should really post screenshots of the map during stages of development as I progress. I always appreciate the help, and I'll be sure to give credit.
My Classes In MMs2:

DM-Tourian
DM-DarkAgonWastes
DM-CargoTrain
BrianTheCorrupt
Killer in Training

Got some things added to the map to fill up the map a bit, but still a long ways off from being complete.

Added an exposed bunker along the outer edge of the map, across from the testing PlayerSpawn, a small walkway lines it's perimeter and goes inside the upper portion. Fencing lines the outside of the walkway, giving cover for players that choose to walk up it.

Top of the central rock formation has a WildcardSpawner - Spawns: SuperHealth, SuperShield, or DoubleDamage pickups - Spawn Pattern: Random

Left side of center has a Hazardous PhysicsVolume, surrounding re-skinned Static Meshes as improvised visuals for Radioactive Phazon. Damage - 20HP/second

Small camp (unsafe) in Destroyed Leviathan Static Mesh, near between Center and test PlayerSpawn, allowing players to hide in, exposed enough for attacks from monsters that reach the opening to get in, preventing likely camping. Now that I think about it, I should figure out how to make an Anti-CamperVolume/Trigger to better approach this matter.
[hr]
I'll keep this updated as I keep making more than minor additions/changes to the map.
My Classes In MMs2:

DM-Tourian
DM-DarkAgonWastes
DM-CargoTrain